Calculating radiant power of LED over its whole spectrum

In summary, the conversation is about using an integrating sphere to measure the output photocurrent and spectrum of an LED. The person is unsure about how to calculate the total radiant power over the whole spectrum and whether they should use the responsivity curve of the photodiode for each wavelength or also consider the intensity vs wavelength spectrum.
picobyte88
Hello

OK so I'm very new to electronics and I really need some clarification/guidance. I am using this integrating sphere which is basically just a glorified photodiode.

I am going to be measuring the output photocurrent using the responsivity curve of the photodiode. The sphere also has a port for measuring the spectrum of the light source which in this case is an LED. Using a simple multimeter I can measure the photocurrent which let's say for example is 10uA.

I can simultaneously measure the spectrum of the LED using a spectrometer from which I get the intensity in arbitrary units as a function of wavelength. Now I have the responsivity curve i.e. the responsivity as a function of wavelength of the photodiode detector but what I want to do is calculate the total radiant power over the whole spectrum of the LED.

So do I find the power for each wavelength using the responsivity of the photodiode? so for example with a photocurrent of 10uA at a wavelength of 500nm which corresponds to responsivity of 0.6A/W I get 0.016mW radiant power

So do I then at 505nm which corresponds to responsivity of 0.58A/W calculate 10u/0.58 = 0.017mW? i.e. can I use the same photocurrent when calculating the radiant power at each wavelength as long as I use the corresponding responsivity? and then can I just sum up all the powers at each wavelength to get the total radiant power over the whole spectrum of the LED?

But do I also need to take into account the intensity vs wavelength spectrum measured as well?

I'm so confused!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You do need to account for intensity vs wavelength as well.

1. How is the radiant power of an LED calculated?

The radiant power of an LED can be calculated by multiplying the radiant flux (measured in watts) by the radiant efficiency (measured as a percentage).

2. What is the radiant flux of an LED?

The radiant flux is the total amount of light energy emitted from an LED per second. It is measured in watts and is dependent on the electrical power input to the LED.

3. How is the radiant efficiency of an LED determined?

The radiant efficiency of an LED is determined by dividing the radiant flux by the electrical power input. This gives a percentage value that represents the overall efficiency of the LED in converting electrical energy into light energy.

4. Is the radiant power of an LED constant over its entire spectrum?

No, the radiant power of an LED can vary across its spectrum. This is due to the fact that different wavelengths of light may have different efficiencies in the LED and therefore, may emit different amounts of light energy.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the radiant power of an LED?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the radiant power of an LED, such as temperature, drive current, and aging of the LED. These factors can cause changes in the radiant flux and efficiency, ultimately affecting the overall radiant power.