Calculating Radio Source Intensity and Momentum

In summary, at a distance of 25m from an isotropic 100 MHz radio source with an intensity of 120W/m2, the rms electric field is 213 V/m. Over a 2 hour period, a 4cm x 4cm surface perpendicular to the source and reflecting 3/4 of the energy receives a momentum of 8.06*10^-6. The total power transmitted by the source is 9.42*10^5.
huntingrdr

Homework Statement

At a distance of 25m from an isotropic 100 MHz radio source the intensity is 120W/m2.

A) What is the rms electric field at 25m?

The answer should be 213 V/m.

B) Over a 2 hour period, what is the momentum given to a 4cm x 4cm surface (at the 25m distance) perpendicular to the source that reflects 3/4 of the energy?

The answer should be 8.06*10^-6.

C) What is the total power transmitted by the source?

The answer should be 9.42*10^5.

Homework Equations

I=P/a = E^2max/2(u)(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

Emax = 274587.4
Erms=Emax/sqrt(2)

I can not get any of these parts right. I tried them but can't get the same results. Can someone show me how to get these? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi huntingrdr! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and an epsilon: ε and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
huntingrdr said:
At a distance of 25m from an isotropic 100 MHz radio source the intensity is 120W/m2.

A) What is the rms electric field at 25m?

The answer should be 213 V/m.

I=P/a = E^2max/2(u)(c)

You mean I=P/a = E2max/2(µ)(c)?

No, you're confusing electricity and magnetism :redface:

it's I = P/A = ε0E2max/2c …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density#Energy_density_of_electric_and_magnetic_fields" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out parts a &b. Can anyone help me with c?

Related to Calculating Radio Source Intensity and Momentum

1. How is radio source intensity calculated?

Radio source intensity is calculated by measuring the flux density of the radio emission from a source and dividing it by the solid angle of the source as seen from the observer.

2. What units are used to measure radio source intensity?

Radio source intensity is typically measured in units of Jansky (Jy), which is equivalent to 10-26 watts per square meter per Hertz (W/m2/Hz).

3. How is radio source momentum calculated?

Radio source momentum is calculated by multiplying the radio source intensity by the speed of light. This gives the momentum flux density, which can then be integrated over the source size to obtain the total momentum.

4. What is the significance of calculating radio source intensity and momentum?

Calculating radio source intensity and momentum can provide valuable information about the physical properties and dynamics of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and quasars. It can also help in understanding the processes involved in the formation and evolution of these objects.

5. What are some challenges in accurately calculating radio source intensity and momentum?

Some challenges in calculating radio source intensity and momentum include accounting for any foreground contamination, properly calibrating the measurements, and dealing with complex source structures and variability. It is also important to consider the effects of redshift and relativistic beaming on the observed quantities.