Calculating regions of double integrals

• Thread starter NewtonianAlch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: The order of the limits is important for finding the area, as the integration is done over the entire region.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Evaluate the follow by first changing the order of integration

[tex]\int_{x=-1}^{1}\int_{y=x^2}^{2-x^2}dydx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the region we're concerned with:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot%28y%3Dx^2%2C+y+%3D+2+-+x^2%2C+x%3D+1%2C+x%3D+-1%29

The new inequalities would be:

[itex]0 ≤ y ≤ 2 [/itex]

[itex]\sqrt {-y+2} ≤ x ≤ √y [/itex]

[tex]\int_{y=0}^{2}\int_{x=sqrt(-y + 2)}^{sqrt(y)}dxdy[/tex]

Doing this double integral gives me a final answer of zero which I checked on MAPLE. The correct answer is 8/3

I'm guessing the bounds are incorrect, but I can't figure out why. On the plot y clearly has a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 2. The limits of x I just manipulated through the previous inequality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Calculate

[tex]\int_{y=x^2}^{2-x^2}dy[/tex]

first. Then integrate in x.

Regards.

Yea, but I think they want me to do it the other way, it's a bit futile, since changing the order complicates things here, but I think it's just for practice to get an understanding of both ways.

Look at your integral again - particularly the y limits of integration. You cannot do a change of variables with just one integral in this case.

To change the order of integration, basically you need this integral:
[tex]\iint dxdy[/tex]
Now, to find the limits of this new double integral, split the region vertically in half and describe each half to determine the limits:

For the upper quarter region:
For y fixed, x varies from [itex]x=\sqrt{2-y}[/itex] to x=0
y varies from y=1 to y=2

For the lower quarter region:
For y fixed, x varies from [itex]x=\sqrt{y}[/itex] to x=0
y varies from y= 0 to y=1

Hence the entire area of the region can be found by this double integral:
[tex]I=2 \left( \int^2_1 \int^0_{\sqrt{2-y}} dxdy + \int^1_0 \int^0_{\sqrt{y}} dxdy \right)=2\int^2_1 \int^0_{\sqrt{2-y}} dxdy + 2\int^1_0 \int^0_{\sqrt{y}} dxdy[/tex]

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
That was very insightful thanks for that.

Although, for the lower quarter region do you mean y varies from y = 1 to y = 0?

NewtonianAlch said:
Although, for the lower quarter region do you mean y varies from y = 1 to y = 0?

You should always take the integral limits in the positive direction of the axes.

If you calculate from y=1 to y=0 and then add up, you will get zero as the sum of the area of the regions, since the area of the upper quarter region will cancel out with the (negative) area of the lower quarter region.

NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the follow by first changing the order of integration

[tex]\int_{x=-1}^{1}\int_{y=x^2}^{2-x^2}dydx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the region we're concerned with:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot%28y%3Dx^2%2C+y+%3D+2+-+x^2%2C+x%3D+1%2C+x%3D+-1%29

The new inequalities would be:

[itex]0 ≤ y ≤ 2 [/itex]

[itex]\sqrt {-y+2} ≤ x ≤ √y [/itex]

[tex]\int_{y=0}^{2}\int_{x=sqrt(-y + 2)}^{sqrt(y)}dxdy[/tex]

Doing this double integral gives me a final answer of zero which I checked on MAPLE. The correct answer is 8/3

I'm guessing the bounds are incorrect, but I can't figure out why. On the plot y clearly has a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 2. The limits of x I just manipulated through the previous inequality.
If you solve [itex]\displaystyle y=x^2[/itex] for x you get [itex]\displaystyle x=\pm\sqrt{y\ }\ .[/itex]

If you solve [itex]\displaystyle y=2-x^2[/itex] for x you get [itex]\displaystyle x=\pm\sqrt{2-y\ }\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
If you solve [itex]\displaystyle y=x^2[/itex] for x you get [itex]\displaystyle x=\pm\sqrt{y\ }\ .[/itex]

If you solve [itex]\displaystyle y=2-x^2[/itex] for x you get [itex]\displaystyle x=\pm\sqrt{2-y\ }\ .[/itex]

Indeed, the integral could also be solved more directly, without splitting the upper and lower regions into quarters, but the limits can be a little confusing if you don't know which half of the curve corresponds to +ve square root and which half corresponds to the -ve square root.

For the upper half region:
For y fixed, x varies from x=√(2-y) to x=-√(2-y)
y varies from y=1 to y=2

For the lower half region:
For y fixed, x varies from x=-√y to x=√y
y varies from y=0 to y=1

[tex]I= \int^2_1 \int^{-\sqrt{2-y}}_{\sqrt{2-y}} dxdy + \int^1_0 \int^{\sqrt y}_{-\sqrt y} dxdy[/tex]

Maybe someone can confirm this? I based the limits on the negative signs affecting the gradients of each half of the individual curves.

Last edited:
sharks said:

[tex]I= \int^2_1 \int^{-\sqrt{2-y}}_{\sqrt{2-y}} dxdy + \int^1_0 \int^{\sqrt y}_{-\sqrt y} dxdy[/tex]

Maybe someone can confirm this? I based the limits on the negative signs affecting the gradients of each half of the individual curves.
To find an area (which in this case should be positive), the order of the limits of integration should be from a lesser value to a greater value,

SammyS said:
To find an area (which in this case should be positive), the order of the limits of integration should be from a lesser value to a greater value,

So, this is the correct integral for the total area:
[tex]I= \int^2_1 \int^{\sqrt{2-y}}_{-\sqrt{2-y}} dxdy + \int^1_0 \int^{\sqrt y}_{-\sqrt y} dxdy[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct.

Related to Calculating regions of double integrals

1. How do you calculate the bounds of a double integral?

The bounds of a double integral can be calculated by identifying the region of integration and determining the limits of integration for each variable. This can be done by drawing a diagram of the region and considering the boundaries of the region in terms of the variables involved.

2. What is the difference between a double integral and a single integral?

A single integral is used to calculate the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. Double integrals have two variables of integration, while single integrals only have one.

3. How do you set up a double integral for a non-rectangular region?

To set up a double integral for a non-rectangular region, the limits of integration for both variables must be determined by breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes. These smaller shapes can then be integrated individually and added together to find the total double integral for the non-rectangular region.

4. What is the importance of the order of integration in a double integral?

The order of integration in a double integral determines the way in which the region of integration is broken down and integrated. The order can greatly affect the complexity and difficulty of the integral, so choosing the most efficient order is important for solving the integral accurately and efficiently.

5. How can double integrals be used in real-world applications?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to calculate the volume, mass, and density of objects and systems. They can also be used to find the average value of a function over a region and to solve optimization problems involving multiple variables.