Calculating Resistance - Electrical Circuits & Networks

In summary: I'm not sure myself, but it sounds like maybe you could try to use the inverse of the impedance matrix?Thanks. I'm not sure myself, but it sounds like maybe you could try to use the inverse of the impedance matrix?
Hidd
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello!

I've took a course about Electrical circuits and Networks at the university, and i found out a problem which is uploaded by my professor, and i think he made a mistake!

i3ii4k.jpg

this is the solution

10gwl04.jpg

i think that the equivalent resistances are wrong (beside Rab), for example if you look at Rcd it must be 0, because it's short circuited.
And i coudn't find "the bridge" that he mentioned.

Thanks for help!
All the best,

Attachments

• i3ii4k.jpg
    i3ii4k.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 10gwl04.jpg
    10gwl04.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,296
Physics news on Phys.org
Hidd said:
i think that the equivalent resistances are wrong (beside Rab), for example if you look at Rcd it must be 0, because it's short circuited.
Note that there is no connection "dot" where those wires cross :wink: Every other junction has a dot.

Likes scottdave and Hidd
gneill, Thank you for your reply and i think you're right! but what about the "bridge"?
we worked on "Wheatstone bridge" which looks like that:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/wheatstone1.gif

but i couldn't find similarities with the one that i mentioned earlier!

You may need to re-draw your circuit (rearrange the diagram) in order to be able to visualize the bridges. For example, if you remove the resistor that connects node A to node B, then you have:
upload_2018-2-15_17-38-37.png

Which can be rearranged as:
upload_2018-2-15_17-39-15.png

Note that the same resistors still connect to nodes with the same labels; the topology of the circuit is the same as before. Now can you "see the bridge"?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-15_17-38-37.png
    upload_2018-2-15_17-38-37.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 675
  • upload_2018-2-15_17-39-15.png
    upload_2018-2-15_17-39-15.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 653
Likes scottdave and Hidd
Yep! now i see it, Thank you very much gneill.

You can think of ABCD as a tetrahedron, with resistance R on each of the edges.
I was having a hard time drawing one, so I found an image of one.
z1bpW8g.jpg

Then you can look at it from above A, and project it flat, so A is in the center of the triangle, and it connects outward to B C and D.

Attachments

• z1bpW8g.jpg
    z1bpW8g.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 645
Likes Hidd
For extra credit. what is the resistance seen by the source Uo in Fig. 3.1 if ALL (including Rd) of the resistors are 50 ohms?

@The Electrician. Can I get extra credit for clarifying the diagram and setting the source to one amp ?
Network_R.png

Attachments

• Network_R.png
    Network_R.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 577
For doubleplusgood credit, calculate the resistance from every node to every other node. First number all the nodes in the original network.

Network.jpg

Then do the math:

All Resistances.png

In the final result matrix the resistance from node j to node k is given by the (j,k) element of the matrix. The resistance from node j to k is, of course, the same as the resistance from node k to node j, hence the matrix is symmetric. And we see all zeroes on the main diagonal because the resistance from a node to itself is zero.

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 531
  • All Resistances.png
    All Resistances.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 957
Last edited:
Likes scottdave
The Electrician said:
For doubleplusgood credit, calculate resistance from every node to every other node...
Then do the math:

View attachment 221247
I am now curious, since I just went through a Linear Algebra course: what is the key to creating the Admittance matrix by inspection?

scottdave said:
I am now curious, since I just went through a Linear Algebra course: what is the key to creating the Admittance matrix by inspection?

Likes scottdave
The Electrician said:

Thanks.

Related to Calculating Resistance - Electrical Circuits & Networks

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electricity. It is measured in units called ohms (Ω).

How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). So, R = V/I.

What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the type of material, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. For example, longer and thinner wires have higher resistance than shorter and thicker wires.

How do resistors affect resistance in a circuit?

Resistors are components designed to add resistance to a circuit. They are used to control the flow of electricity and can be added in series or parallel to increase or decrease the overall resistance of a circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected end to end, so the current flows through each resistor in succession. The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected to the same two points, allowing current to flow through multiple paths. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the individual resistances.