Calculating Resultant Force at a Pivoted Rod | Uniform Rod in Vertical Plane

• Thread starter fkf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the problem involves a uniform rod of length 1.6 m and mass 20 kg rotating about a frictionless pivot at one end in a vertical plane. The rod is released from rest in the horizontal position and the acceleration of gravity is 9.80 m/s2. The question asks for the resultant force at the pivot immediately after the release. Using the Moment of Inertia and torque equations, an angular acceleration of 9.1875 is found. The normal force is assumed to be zero, giving a tangential force of 147 N. However, the correct answer is 49 N, which can be found by adding 147 N to the unknown normal force. The linear acceleration of the rod's center
fkf

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length 1.6 m and mass 20 kg is free to rotate about a frictionless pivot at one end in a vertical plane. The rod is released from rest in the horizontal position. The acceleration of gravity is 9.80 m/s2.

Homework Equations

What is the resultant force in the pivot immediately after the release?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Moment of Inertia around such a rod is 1/3*m*L^2 and that the tourqe around that rod is L/2*mg, this gives me the angular acceleration 9.1875. I assume that the normal force in this situation is zero?

That would only give me the tangental force F_t = m*r_cm*a left (since F_n = m*r*w^2, but w = 0), which gives me the answer 147 N, but the answer should be 49 N

Physics news on Phys.org
hi fkf! :smile:
fkf said:
That would only give me the tangental force F_t = m*r_cm*a left (since F_n = m*r*w^2, but w = 0), which gives me the answer 147 N, but the answer should be 49 N

hint: 49 + 147 = 196 :wink:

fkf said:
I assume that the normal force in this situation is zero?
What are you calling the normal force here? What is the linear acceleration of the rod's centre?

What is the formula for calculating resultant force at a pivoted rod?

The formula for calculating resultant force at a pivoted rod is F = mgd/L, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the rod, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.

How do you determine the direction of the resultant force at a pivoted rod?

The direction of the resultant force at a pivoted rod can be determined by the direction of the force of gravity acting on the center of mass of the rod. The resultant force will act in the opposite direction of the force of gravity.

What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform rod in terms of calculating resultant force?

A uniform rod is one in which the mass is evenly distributed throughout the length of the rod, while a non-uniform rod has an uneven distribution of mass. When calculating resultant force at a pivoted rod, the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of a uniform rod will be the same for all points on the rod, while for a non-uniform rod, this distance will vary.

How does the angle of the rod affect the calculation of resultant force?

The angle of the rod does not affect the calculation of resultant force at a pivoted rod in a vertical plane, as long as the rod remains in equilibrium. This is because the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the rod will remain the same, regardless of the angle of the rod.

What are some real-world applications of calculating resultant force at a pivoted rod?

Calculating resultant force at a pivoted rod can be useful in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the stability of a structure, analyzing the forces acting on a lever or see-saw, and designing balance scales. It can also be used in everyday scenarios, such as calculating the weight distribution on a bike or determining the appropriate placement of weights on a shelf to prevent it from tipping over.