Calculating Resultant Vector: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible values of R, which is determined by the addition of two vectors at different angles. The values for R must be between 5-7N, with the maximum value at 90 degrees and the minimum value at 0 degrees. The rule of parallelogram-law is used to calculate the value of R, with the lowest value occurring when the vectors are perpendicular to each other. The conversation also clarifies that 4N is not a possible value for R.
Muhammad Danish
According to my understanding, option D is the only possible value of R. I don't understand how options A, B and C are included. Please explain this question.
Thanks.
(regards)
upload_2018-4-14_17-41-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-14_17-41-52.png
    upload_2018-4-14_17-41-52.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 914
Physics news on Phys.org
Muhammad Danish said:
According to my understanding, option D is the only possible value of R. I don't understand how options A, B and C are included. Please explain this question.
Thanks.
(regards)

just try to check the values of resultant at 0 and 90 degrees
anything outside this range of R is not possible.

drvrm said:
just try to check the values of resultant at 0 and 90 degrees
anything outside this range of R is not possible.
I do not understand...

Muhammad Danish said:
I do not understand...

in the question the angles are given between zero and ninety degree
so if you put zero
then the two vectors are collinear so they will add up that gives you a value of R
i think that is maximum value
similarly put them at 90 degree

drvrm said:
in the question the angles are given between zero and ninety degree
so if you put zero
then the two vectors are collinear so they will add up that gives you a value of R
i think that is maximum value
similarly put them at 90 degree
If we put them at 90 degrees, then the vectors will still add up to 7 N, won't they?

Muhammad Danish said:
If we put them at 90 degrees, then the vectors will still add up to 7 N, won't they?
Are you familiar with how to do vector addition?

Muhammad Danish said:

two vectors at an angle theta then there is a rule parallelogram -law
R = sqrt{ 3^2 + 4^2 + 2 (3*4 ) cos (theta) }
so if theta =90
cos 90 =0

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with how to do vector addition?
Yes..

Muhammad Danish said:
Yes..
Then you know that, unless they are co-linear and pointing in the same direction, their resultant magnitude can't be 7.

Likes Muhammad Danish
drvrm said:
so if theta =90
cos 90 =0
Oh I understand now, it means that if we put Cos 90, then the answer will be the lowest value. Similarly if we put Cos 0, then the outcome will be the maximum value. Maximum value=7 Minimum Value=5 so 4N is not possible. Am I correct?

Chestermiller said:
Then you know that, unless they are co-linear and pointing in the same direction, their resultant magnitude can't be 7.
When they will be co-linear, the resultant magnitude will be 7N, and when they are perpendicular to each other then the resultant magnitude will be 5N, so the value of R must lie between 5-7N. In the above MCQ the answer will be A.4N because it is not a possible value of R. Am I right?

Muhammad Danish said:
When they will be co-linear, the resultant magnitude will be 7N, and when they are perpendicular to each other then the resultant magnitude will be 5N, so the value of R must lie between 5-7N. In the above MCQ the answer will be A.4N because it is not a possible value of R. Am I right?
Yes.

Chestermiller said:
Yes.
Thanks Sir.

drvrm said:
so if theta =90
cos 90 =0
Thanks a lot! I understand now!

Likes drvrm
Muhammad Danish said:
if we put Cos 90, then the answer will be the lowest value
Within the range specified, yes, but more generally the lowest value will be when the vectors oppose each other, i.e. θ=180°, cos(θ)=-1.

1. How do you calculate the resultant vector?

The resultant vector is calculated by adding together all of the individual vectors involved. This can be done graphically by drawing the vectors to scale and using the head-to-tail method, or algebraically by breaking the vectors down into their x- and y-components and using vector addition formulas.

2. What is the formula for calculating the resultant vector?

The formula for calculating the resultant vector algebraically is R = √(Rx2 + Ry2), where Rx and Ry are the x- and y-components of the individual vectors. Graphically, the formula is R = √(x1 + x2)2 + (y1 + y2)2, where x1 and y1 are the x- and y-components of the first vector, and x2 and y2 are the x- and y-components of the second vector.

3. What are the units of the resultant vector?

The units of the resultant vector are the same as the units of the individual vectors involved. For example, if the individual vectors have units of meters, then the resultant vector will also have units of meters.

4. Can the resultant vector have a magnitude of zero?

Yes, the resultant vector can have a magnitude of zero if the individual vectors involved cancel each other out. This can happen if the vectors are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

5. How can the direction of the resultant vector be determined?

The direction of the resultant vector can be determined by using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine. The direction is typically given in degrees or radians, using the positive x-axis as a reference point.