Calculating Satellite Line Splitting in a Sunspot using the Zeeman Effect

In summary, the normal Zeeman effect splits a spectral line at frequency 6562.81 Å and two satellite lines at 6562.81 Å +/- eB/(4\pi m_{e}). By what amount (in angstroms) are the satellite lines of the hydrogen Balmer \alpha line (\lambda_{0} = 6562.81 Å) split from the central component in a typical sunspot?
interdinghy

Homework Statement

"The normal Zeeman effect splits a spectral line at frequency [itex]\nu_{0}[/itex] and two satellite lines at [itex]\nu_{0}[/itex] ± [itex]eB/(4\pi m_{e})[/itex]. By what amount (in angstroms) are the satellite lines of the hydrogen Balmer [itex]\alpha[/itex] line ([itex]\lambda_{0} = 6562.81 Å[/itex]) split from the central component in a typical sunspot?

Given value for B in a sunspot: .1 T

Homework Equations

[itex]\lambda[/itex] = c/[itex]\nu[/itex]
d[itex]\lambda[/itex] = c d/d[itex]\nu[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried plugging things into [itex]eB/(4\pi m_{e})[/itex] to find the change in frequency for the satellite lines, but I'm not getting a value in hertz, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure that once I get an actual frequency out of this I can just use the relevant equations to find the difference in wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you calculate the individual wavelengths and take their difference? or did you calculate the difference in frequency and calculate a wavelength with that?

If I calculate the frequency based off the given wavelength, I get 4.56*10^14 hertz, but that doesn't get me any further I don't think.

The problem is the difference between the initial frequency and the satellite lines. I can't add or subtract the difference because the difference isn't a frequency, it's some nonsense units (seconds^-2 ampere^-1).

Try writing out the units of each piece in the SI base units. See what happens.

frogjg2003 said:
Try writing out the units of each piece in the SI base units. See what happens.

I think this is maybe where I'm missing something?

A tesla divided by an electron mass is giving me 1 per second per ampere, and wolfram seems to agree with this.

[itex]\nu_{0} + s^{-1}A^{-1} = Hz + s^{-1}A^{-1}[/itex] is adding incompatible units, so I'm pretty sure I can't do it.

What about the electron charge?

Also, I'm getting per second squared in Wolfram.

Oh okay I see now. I was so sure e was the base of the natural log. I actually tried looking around for other things it could stand for, but putting it in as the electron charge on wolfram made it work.

Thanks!

1. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is a phenomenon in which the spectral lines of an atom or molecule are split into multiple components when placed in a magnetic field. This splitting is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom or molecule.

2. How does the Zeeman effect work?

The Zeeman effect occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom or molecule. The magnetic field causes the energy levels of the electrons in the atom or molecule to split, resulting in multiple spectral lines instead of a single line.

3. What causes the spectral lines to split in the Zeeman effect?

The spectral lines split in the Zeeman effect due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom or molecule. This interaction causes a splitting of the energy levels, resulting in multiple spectral lines.

4. What are the applications of the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect has various applications in physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is used to study the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules, as well as to determine the strength of magnetic fields. It is also used in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of materials.

5. How is the Zeeman effect related to quantum mechanics?

The Zeeman effect is a consequence of quantum mechanics. It can be explained by the quantization of energy levels in atoms and molecules, as well as the magnetic properties of electrons. The Zeeman effect is an important aspect of quantum mechanics and has helped in the development of this branch of physics.