Landé g factor in the Zeeman Effect

So, in summary, a source emitting a line at 500 nm exhibits normal Zeeman effect when placed in a magnetic field. The field can be calculated by taking the separation of adjacent components in the Zeeman pattern (12.0 pm) and using the equation ΔE = - μ B, where g = 1. The calculated magnetic field is approximately 0.5T, but if g = 1, it would be doubled to ~1T.
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

A source which emits a line at 500 nm is found to exhibit the normal Zeeman e ffect
when placed in a magnetic fi eld. Calculate the magnetic field given that the separation
of adjacent components in the Zeeman pattern is 12.0 pm.

Homework Equations

E=hc/lambda, ΔE = - μ B

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've already gone through all the work of calculating ΔE, and μ and subsequently calculating B to be ~0.5T however I have a problem in that in the expression for my B I have ΔE on top and gμb at the bottom.

I chose to select g = 2 as my Landé g factor however it's a little bit ambiguous, I'm not sure whether it ought to be g = 1 in which case my value for B would be doubled to ~ 1T

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the Landé g factor in the Zeeman Effect?

The Landé g factor is a dimensionless quantity that describes the strength of the interaction between an atomic electron's magnetic moment and an external magnetic field in the Zeeman Effect. It is used to calculate the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field.

Why is the Landé g factor important in the Zeeman Effect?

The Landé g factor is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of atomic electrons in the presence of a magnetic field. It helps us to predict the splitting of spectral lines and provides insight into the structure of atoms.

How is the Landé g factor calculated?

The Landé g factor is calculated using the formula g = (J + 1/2)/(S(S+1)), where J is the total angular momentum quantum number and S is the total spin quantum number. This value can also be experimentally determined by measuring the splitting of spectral lines in a magnetic field.

What is the significance of the Landé g factor's value?

The value of the Landé g factor can provide information about the electronic structure of an atom. If the value is close to 1, it indicates that the electron's angular momentum and spin are aligned with the external magnetic field. If the value is significantly different from 1, it suggests that the electron's angular momentum and spin are not aligned with the magnetic field, and there may be other factors influencing its behavior.

Can the Landé g factor change for different elements or atoms?

Yes, the Landé g factor can vary for different elements or atoms. It depends on the number of electrons and their arrangement in the atom, as well as the strength of the external magnetic field. The value of the Landé g factor can also change for different energy levels within the same atom.