Calculating Shear Stress from Shear Flow: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, you can calculate shear stress using shear flow. However, you must first determine the maximum load that the beam can withstand. You can do this by comparing the stress with the beam material shear strength.
NSNS
TL;DR Summary
shear flow to shear stress
how to calculate shear stress using shear flow

Engineering news on Phys.org
What have you found in your reading so far? Can you post some links to your reading, and ask specific questions about the parts you are having trouble understanding? Thanks.

im just curious when we get the maximum from the shear force diagram but how to know that that is the load that beam can withstand so we have to compare the stress with the beam material shear strength right

but i just can't find how to do that process

Get a text on Mechanics of Materials or one on Machine Design; this is a bit too much for a post.

Likes Chestermiller and berkeman
NSNS said:
im just curious when we get the maximum from the shear force diagram but how to know that that is the load that beam can withstand so we have to compare the stress with the beam material shear strength right
NSNS said:
but i just can't find how to do that process
berkeman said:
Can you post some links to your reading, and ask specific questions about the parts you are having trouble understanding?
You didn't address my post. Please post the links you have been reading, or this will be a *very* short thread...

i can't find any links that i can read about that, that why I came to ask here

Try using Google with several search terms that apply. That's an important skill to have in modern times... :wink:

Then you were not trying very hard, because I found several good links in less than one minute of searching. However, the suggestion by @Dr.D above is a better approach because books on the subject go into more and better detail than web sites.

Likes berkeman
Zero effort in asking a question on PF (and possibly misplaced schoolwork)
okay, can I ask the last question is shear stress can be calculated by shear flow/thickness?

berkeman said:
You didn't address my post. Please post the links you have been reading, or this will be a *very* short thread...
NSNS said:
okay, can I ask the last question is shear stress can be calculated by shear flow/thickness?
Sigh. Very short thread is closed.

Please start a new thread where you actually show some effort and post links to your reading and ask specific questions about that reading that you do not understand.

Also, if this is for schoolwork, repost in the Homework Help forums, not in the general technical forums. Thank you.

1. What is shear flow to shear stress?

Shear flow to shear stress is a concept in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the shear flow, or the rate of change of shear stress over a distance, and the shear stress, or the force per unit area acting on a material in response to shear deformation.

2. How is shear flow to shear stress calculated?

Shear flow to shear stress can be calculated using the formula q = τ/t, where q is the shear flow, τ is the shear stress, and t is the thickness of the material.

3. What is the significance of shear flow to shear stress in fluid mechanics?

Understanding shear flow to shear stress is crucial in fluid mechanics as it helps engineers and scientists analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in pipelines, pumps, and turbines.

4. How does shear flow to shear stress affect the stability of a fluid?

Shear flow to shear stress plays a significant role in determining the stability of a fluid. If the shear flow is greater than the shear stress, the fluid will experience shear deformation and may become unstable. In contrast, if the shear stress is greater than the shear flow, the fluid will remain stable.

5. What factors can affect shear flow to shear stress?

Several factors can influence shear flow to shear stress, including the type of fluid, the viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the geometry of the material. Changes in these factors can alter the relationship between shear flow and shear stress, affecting the behavior of the fluid.