Calculating Sound Level Increase in a Work Environment: A Machinist's Dilemma

BIENT SOUND LEVEL: 85dBBOOM BOX SOUND LEVEL: 84.0dBIn summary, the machinist's music adds a total intensity of approximately 20.0 to the ambient noise level, resulting in an increase of about 0.1dB in the overall sound level.
tmkgemini
The graph shows the US Department of Labor noise regulation for working without ear protection. A machinist is in an environment where the ambient sound level is of 85dB, i.e., corresponding to the 8 Hours/day noise level. The machinist likes to listen to music, and plays a Boom Box at an average level of 84.0dB. Calculate the INCREASE in the sound level from the ambient work environment level (in dB).

You don't really need the graph for this part of the problem... I have no idea how to solve this... i have the hint :Compute the intensities from the levels, add them to get the total intensity, then find the total sound level. Note the question asks for the increase... but it's still not helping. PLease help!

Physics news on Phys.org
tmkgemini said:
The graph shows the US Department of Labor noise regulation for working without ear protection. A machinist is in an environment where the ambient sound level is of 85dB, i.e., corresponding to the 8 Hours/day noise level. The machinist likes to listen to music, and plays a Boom Box at an average level of 84.0dB. Calculate the INCREASE in the sound level from the ambient work environment level (in dB).

You don't really need the graph for this part of the problem... I have no idea how to solve this... i have the hint :Compute the intensities from the levels, add them to get the total intensity, then find the total sound level. Note the question asks for the increase... but it's still not helping. PLease help!
Since difference in loudness in decibels between sounds A and B is 10log(I_A/I_B), a sound A that is x db louder than sound B has an intensity (Power/Area) of 10^(x/10) times the intensity of B. If you add these two sounds together you get a combined intensity or Power/Area of I_A + I_B. So the new loudness in decibels increases by 10log((I_A + I_B)/I_B). There will only be a few db difference by combining the two sounds.

AM

To calculate the increase in sound level, we first need to convert the decibel (dB) measurements to sound intensities. This can be done using the formula I = 10^(dB/10), where I is the sound intensity and dB is the decibel level.

For the ambient sound level of 85dB, the intensity would be I = 10^(85/10) = 10^8.5 = 316,227,766.02. For the Boom Box sound level of 84.0dB, the intensity would be I = 10^(84/10) = 10^8.4 = 251,188,643.15.

To find the total intensity, we add these two intensities together: 316,227,766.02 + 251,188,643.15 = 567,416,409.17.

To convert this back to a decibel level, we use the formula dB = 10log(I/10^-12), where I is the intensity and 10^-12 is the reference intensity. Plugging in the total intensity, we get dB = 10log(567,416,409.17/10^-12) = 10log(5.6741640917 × 10^22) = 112.75dB.

Therefore, the increase in sound level from the ambient work environment level of 85dB to the level with the Boom Box playing at 84.0dB is approximately 27.75dB. This is well above the recommended noise level for a full 8-hour work day, and the machinist should consider using ear protection to protect their hearing.

Related to Calculating Sound Level Increase in a Work Environment: A Machinist's Dilemma

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that are created by vibrating objects and travel through a medium, such as air, water, or solids, to carry energy from one place to another.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel through a medium by causing the molecules in that medium to vibrate. These vibrations create a series of compressions and rarefactions, which produce the sound we hear.

3. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In dry air at room temperature, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second. However, it can travel faster or slower in different materials.

4. How are sound waves measured?

Sound waves are measured in terms of frequency and amplitude. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in one second, and is measured in hertz (Hz). Amplitude is the strength or intensity of the sound wave, and is measured in decibels (dB).

5. How are sound waves used in everyday life?

Sound waves have many practical uses in our daily lives. Some common applications include communication (such as speaking and listening), music, medical imaging, and navigation (such as sonar and echolocation). Sound waves are also used in many industrial and scientific processes, such as testing and measuring materials and detecting flaws in structures.