Calculating Standard Deviation for a Probability Density Function?

In summary: The standard deviation of a population is\begin{align}\sigma = \sqrt{ \int_a^b (x-\mu)^2 \ f(x) \ dx...}\end{align}\subsection*{(b)}The mean of a population is\begin{align}\mu = \frac{1}{\sigma}\end{align}\subsection*{(c)}The variance of
Schwarzschild90

Homework Statement

Continuous probability.PNG

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
p(x) = C \ x \ exp(-x/ \lambda)
\end{split}
\end{align}

If $p(x)$ is a probability density function on the interval $ 0 \textless x \textless + \infty $ , then it follows that the normalization constant can be isolated by setting the area under the curve equal to one

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\int_0^\infty p(x) \ dx = 1 \to \\ C \int_0^\infty x \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 1 \to \\ C \lambda^2 = 1 \to \\ C = \frac{1}{\lambda^2}
\end{split}
\end{align}

\subsection*{(b)}
The mean $\mu$ (or expection $E(X)$) of X is

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
mean = E(X) = \int_a^b x \ f(x) \ dx = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty x^2 \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 2 \lambda^3
\end{split}
\end{align}

\subsection*{(c)}
Now, determine the standard deviation $\sigma$ of X

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\sigma =
\end{split}
\end{align}

Physics news on Phys.org
In 3), did you forget the factor C?
Are you stuck on the standard deviation, or did your post just get truncated?
What formulae do you know related to variance and s.d.?

Likes Schwarzschild90
I imagined that someone could see if what I had already done was correct

I know the following formula for variance: (E(X^2) - mu^2)

Schwarzschild90 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 95542

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
p(x) = C \ x \ exp(-x/ \lambda)
\end{split}
\end{align}

If $p(x)$ is a probability density function on the interval $ 0 \textless x \textless + \infty $ , then it follows that the normalization constant can be isolated by setting the area under the curve equal to one

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\int_0^\infty p(x) \ dx = 1 \to \\ C \int_0^\infty x \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 1 \to \\ C \lambda^2 = 1 \to \\ C = \frac{1}{\lambda^2}
\end{split}
\end{align}

\subsection*{(b)}
The mean $\mu$ (or expection $E(X)$) of X is

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
mean = E(X) = \int_a^b x \ f(x) \ dx = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty x^2 \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 2 \lambda^3
\end{split}
\end{align}

\subsection*{(c)}
Now, determine the standard deviation $\sigma$ of X

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\sigma =
\end{split}
\end{align}

Your computation of ##EX## is incorrect.

Hint: check dimensions. If ##X## happened to be a time, ##\lambda## would have dimensions of time also, and so your ##\lambda^3## would have dimensions of ##\text{time}^3## (but should be just 'time').

Likes Schwarzschild90
I forgot to divide by λ2.

Now, does 2/λ seem reasonable in your eyes?

Schwarzschild90 said:

Both reasonable and correct, not only in my eyes but absolutely.

Likes Schwarzschild90
Schwarzschild90 said:

Now you seem to have divided by λ4.
If you replace x with λu in the integral you can see you should get a factor λ and an integral independent of λ.
Schwarzschild90 said:
I
I know the following formula for variance: (E(X^2) - mu^2)
So turn that into an integral. You already have μ.

Likes Schwarzschild90
Ray Vickson said:
Both reasonable and correct, not only in my eyes but absolutely.

Sorry: I am so used to looking at such distributions in the form ##c t e^{-\lambda t}## (that is, with ##\lambda t## instead of ##t/\lambda##) that my brain failed to process the difference in your case. So, NO: you are still not correct.

Likes Schwarzschild90
Like this? I don't understand why we replace x with lambda u

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
mean = E(X) = \int_a^b x \ f(x) \ dx = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty (\lambda u)^2 \ exp(-(\lambda u)/ \lambda) \ dx =
\end{split}
\end{align}

Schwarzschild90 said:
Like this? I don't understand why we replace x with lambda u

\begin{align}
\begin{split}
mean = E(X) = \int_a^b x \ f(x) \ dx = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty (\lambda u)^2 \ exp(-(\lambda u)/ \lambda) \ dx =
\end{split}
\end{align}
I was just using that to show that the final expression must be linear in lambda.
##\frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty (\lambda u)^2 \ exp(-(\lambda u)/ \lambda) \ d(\lambda u)=\lambda\int_0^\infty u^2e^{-u}.du##. Your first version ended up with a factor λ3 because you forgot the factor C=λ-2, but then somehow you got λ-1, as though you made the correction twice over.

Likes Schwarzschild90
So, 2\lambda would be correct?

Schwarzschild90 said:
So, 2\lambda would be correct?
Yes.

Likes Schwarzschild90
Will use this formula to calculate the standard deviation
\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\sigma = std(X) =\sqrt{ \int_a^b (x-\mu)^2 \ f(x) \ dx }
\end{split}
\end{align}

Schwarzschild90 said:
Will use this formula to calculate the standard deviation
\begin{align}
\begin{split}
\sigma = std(X) =\sqrt{ \int_a^b (x-\mu)^2 \ f(x) \ dx }
\end{split}
\end{align}
Ok, but you might find the form var(X)=E(X2)-E(X)2 more convenient than E((X-E(X))2).

I assume sqrt(E(X2)-E(X)2)?

Schwarzschild90 said:
I assume sqrt(E(X2)-E(X)2)?
For standard deviation, yes. I was quoting formulae for variance (σ2).

Likes Schwarzschild90
\begin{align}
\begin{split}
E(X^2) = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty x^3 \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 6 \lambda^2 \\
\mu^2 = 4\lambda^2 \\
\sigma = std(X) = \sqrt{var(X)} = \sqrt{E(X^2) - \mu^2} = \sqrt{6\lambda^2 - 4\lambda^2}= \sqrt{2\lambda^2} = \sqrt{2}\lambda \\
\end{split}
\end{align}

It seems almost impossible to commit a mistake using the above equation :P, but I've been wrong before

Last edited:
Schwarzschild90 said:
\begin{align}
\begin{split}
E(X^2) = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} \int_0^\infty x^3 \ exp(-x/ \lambda) \ dx = 6 \lambda^2 \\
\mu^2 = 4\lambda^2 \\
\sigma = std(X) = \sqrt{var(X)} = \sqrt{E(X^2) - \mu^2} = \sqrt{6\lambda^2 - 4\lambda^2}= \sqrt{2\lambda^2} = \sqrt{2}\lambda \\
\end{split}
\end{align}

It seems almost impossible to commit a mistake using the above equation :P, but I've been wrong before
Looks right.

What is a probability density function?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on a particular value within a given range. It is used to represent the probability distribution of a continuous random variable.

How is a probability density function different from a probability distribution function?

A probability density function is used for continuous random variables, while a probability distribution function is used for discrete random variables. A probability distribution function gives the probability of a specific value occurring, while a probability density function gives the probability of a range of values occurring.

What is the area under a probability density function?

The area under a probability density function represents the probability of the random variable falling within a certain range. The total area under the curve is equal to 1, indicating that the probability of the random variable taking on any value within the range is 100%.

How is a probability density function used in statistics?

A probability density function is used to calculate the probability of a random variable taking on a specific value or falling within a particular range. It is also used to calculate other statistical measures such as mean, variance, and standard deviation.

Can a probability density function be negative?

No, a probability density function cannot be negative as it represents the probability of a random variable occurring within a given range. Negative probabilities do not make sense in this context. The function may approach 0, but it cannot be negative.