Calculating standard deviation for average force

In summary, the person is stuck on the last problem, which involves using error propagation equations to find the deviation for average force. They initially used the multiplication error propagation formula, but obtained a nonsensical result. They are now seeking help to find the correct formula, which can be found in the reference provided. They also mention a calculator that can assist with the calculations.
jb007

Homework Statement

6.png

I am stuck on the last problem.

Homework Equations

Just the error propagation equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially used the multiplication error propagation formula. So the average force would be the impulse divided by the time, the same thing as the impulse times 1/time. Favg = I⋅1/t. So the deviation for force would be the absolute value of I times 1/(deviation of time)? But this is wrong, as I get 131, a number that wouldn't make sense. How do I find the deviation for Favg? I feel like I might have to use some of my other data...

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

What is standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from the average or mean value. It tells us how much the data varies from the average.

Why is standard deviation important?

Standard deviation is important because it gives us a measure of the variability or diversity within a set of data. It helps us understand the spread of the data points around the mean and can be used to make comparisons between different sets of data.

How do you calculate standard deviation?

To calculate standard deviation, you need to first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, subtract the mean and square the result. Next, find the average of all the squared values. Finally, take the square root of this average to get the standard deviation.

What is the formula for calculating standard deviation?

The formula for calculating standard deviation is:
σ = √(Σ(x - μ)² / N)
Where:σ = standard deviation
Σ = sum of
x = data points
μ = mean
N = number of data points

How is standard deviation used in science?

Standard deviation is used in science for various purposes, such as measuring the precision and accuracy of experimental data, determining the reliability of results, and identifying outliers or unusual data points. It is also used in statistical analysis to make comparisons between different sets of data and to assess the significance of experimental results.