Calculating Steam Flow in a Nuclear Power Plant Turbine System

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the required mass flow rate of steam through a steam generator and two turbine generators in a nuclear power plant. The calculations show a discrepancy between the required steam flow for the turbines and the rated steam flow for the steam generator. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an increase in entropy leading to a higher exit enthalpy for the steam.
JohnPickerill
I have a thermodynamics question I'm having difficulty with...

I have a steam generator heated by a 39MW nuclear reactor that powers two 4.5MW turbine generators. It produces dry saturated steam at 330psig, and enters the turbine at those conditions. It exits the turbine to a condenser maintained at 28inHg vacuum. The feedwater enters the steam generator at 102F.
I'm trying to find the required mass flow rate of steam through the turbine to produce 4.5MW, but the answer I'm getting is unrealistically high and can't find the mistake. Was hoping to get a second set of eyes for help. Here's the calculations I'm using:

Enthalpy of feedwater entering steam generator = 70 BTU/lbm
Enthalpy of steam exiting steam generator = 1205 BTU/lbm
Therefore, the steam generator raises the enthalpy by 1135 BTU/lbm

At full power, the steam generator can produce the following steam flow:
39MW x lbm/1135BTU x 3.412BTU/W x 1000000W/MW = 117000 lbm/hr

Comparing that to the steam flow required by each 4.5MW turbine:
Enthalpy of steam entering turbine = 1205 BTU/lbm
Enthalpy of steam exiting turbine = 1106 BTU/lbm
Therefore, the turbine drops the enthalpy by 99 BTU/lbm

At full power, each turbine produces about 4.5MW of mechanical power, therefore each requires the following steam flow:
4.5MW x lbm/99BTU x 3.412BTU/W x 1000000W/MW = 155,000 lbm/hr
There are two turbines so total required steam flow = 310,000 lbm/hr.

So by my math is trying to say the turbines require over twice as much steam flow as what the steam generator is rated for. But this is an actual, built and operating 39MW nuclear power plant. What mistake did I make in my calculations or assumptions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
You did not mention % moisture at the turbine exit. At 29 inches of mercury, saturated steam 1098 BTU/lbm, saturated water 51 BTU/lbm.

I agree with @anorlunda that, if the change in entropy of the steam were zero in the turbine, the steam would come out as a combination of liquid and vapor. In this case, the enthalpy of the exit stream would be less than 1105 BTU/lb, and that would lead to an even greater discrepancy. Maybe they expect you to assume that there is an increase in entropy, so that the steam comes out superheated and the exit enthalpy is higher.

1. What is a steam turbine?

A steam turbine is a device that converts the thermal energy of pressurized steam into mechanical energy, which can then be used to generate electricity or perform other types of work.

2. How does a steam turbine work?

A steam turbine works by expanding high-pressure steam through a series of stationary and rotating blades, causing the blades to spin and produce mechanical energy. This energy is then used to turn a generator, which produces electricity.

3. What is the thermodynamic cycle of a steam turbine?

The thermodynamic cycle of a steam turbine consists of four main stages: heating the water to produce steam, pressurizing the steam, expanding the steam through the turbine, and condensing the steam back into liquid form to be heated again.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a steam turbine?

The efficiency of a steam turbine is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and pressure of the steam, the size and design of the turbine, and any losses due to friction or leakage.

5. How is steam turbine efficiency calculated?

Steam turbine efficiency is typically calculated by dividing the actual work output by the theoretical maximum work output. This is known as the isentropic efficiency and takes into account any losses in the system.