Calculating steel round bar's max capacity to support?

In summary, a steel bar 2 inches in diameter and 5 feet long can only withstand a point load before bending. With more weight added, the bar will bend more until it reaches a point where more deflection is acceptable.
esaulog
First off, I am new to this forum.. However I wanted
To find out if anyone would be able to help me calculate
How much a steel bar (2 in. In diameter, 5 ft. Lengthwise)
Would be able to hold up without bending?

Engineering news on Phys.org
esaulog said:
Uh ... do you think maybe it might matter what KIND of steel you are talking about? Do you think it might matter where the supports are and where the load is? Could you maybe be a little more vague in your problem statement?

Likes Bystander and Baluncore
esaulog said:

Zero.

Even with no weight on the bar it's still bending under it's own weight.
Adding additional weight makes it bend more.
The real question is, how much deflection is acceptable?

Sigh. This doesn't have to be hard.

Specify, specify, specify before asking anything.
  • Sketch the arrangement (horizontal, vertical, something in between) and form a Free Body Diagram.
  • Identify the end conditions (simple, pinned, cantilevered, whatever).
  • Specify the loading (point load, distributed load), specify the material.
  • Find an Engineering-related website or (gasp) perhaps even a Strengths of Materials textbook that provides formulas for beam loading.
  • Find the applicable equation for beam loading.
  • Apply the correct material strength & section moment of inertia values.
  • Those equations will tell you the amount of stress & deflection present in the beam at any point.
  • Use those values to determine if your conditions are suitable.
The material is elastic and will always deflect under load ("zero"). But "Engineering" not "Science" determines what is an acceptable deflection.

Related to Calculating steel round bar's max capacity to support?

1. How do you calculate the maximum capacity of a steel round bar to support weight?

The maximum capacity of a steel round bar to support weight is calculated using the following formula: Maximum Capacity = (π * (D^2))/4 * σ, where D is the diameter of the bar and σ is the yield stress of the steel. This formula assumes that the steel bar is under uniform tension and is not subjected to bending or torsion.

2. What units should be used for the diameter and yield stress in the calculation?

The diameter should be measured in inches or millimeters, depending on the unit system being used. The yield stress should be measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

3. How do different types of steel affect the maximum capacity calculation?

The yield stress of steel can vary depending on the type and grade of steel being used. For example, stainless steel has a higher yield stress than carbon steel, so a stainless steel round bar would have a higher maximum capacity to support weight compared to a carbon steel round bar of the same diameter.

4. Are there any safety factors to consider when calculating the maximum capacity of a steel round bar?

Yes, it is important to factor in a safety margin when calculating the maximum capacity of a steel round bar. This ensures that the bar can safely support the intended weight without risk of failure. The safety factor typically ranges from 1.5 to 2.0, depending on the application and material.

5. Can the maximum capacity of a steel round bar be increased?

Yes, the maximum capacity of a steel round bar can be increased by using a larger diameter bar or a higher grade of steel with a higher yield stress. However, it is important to consider the cost and practicality of using a larger or higher-grade bar for the intended application.