Change in electrostatic energy on two spheres

In summary, the change in electrostatic energy when the spheres are connected is W=-Q/4 pi epsilon_0 r1-Q/4 pi epsilon_0 r2.
Marcus95

Homework Statement

We have a spehere of radius ##r_1## and on of ##r_2## far away from each other. The first sphere has a charge ##Q##. What is the change in electro static energy when they are connected together?

Homework Equations

Potential of a charged sphere: ## V = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}##
Elctrostatic energy: ##W = q \Delta V ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, the potential of the system is: ## V = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1}##
When the spheres are connected together, they become equipotential and will have charges:
## Q_1 = Q \frac{r_1}{r_1+r_2} ## and ## Q_2 = Q \frac{r_2}{r_1+r_2} ##. Hence the change in voltage is: ## \Delta V = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1} - \frac{Q_1}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1} = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} (\frac{r_2}{r_1(r_1+r_2)}) ##. So the change in potential energy is: ## W=\frac{Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0} (\frac{r_2}{r_1(r_1+r_2)})##.

However, this is wrong. The answer is supposed to be: ## W=\frac{Q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0} (\frac{r_2}{r_1(r_1+r_2)})##. Where do I loose the factor of 1/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow how you can write the change in potential energy as ##W## as ##Q \Delta V##. This would imply that all of the charge ##Q## undergoes the same change in potential ##\Delta V##. Also, your expression for ##\Delta V## does not appear to account for the change in potential of the second sphere.

As you noted, the potential ##V## at the surface of an isolated sphere of charge ##Q## and radius ##r## is ##V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r}## (taking ##V = 0## at inifinity). But the potential energy of the sphere is not ##W = QV##.

The potential energy of an isolated sphere can be derived using integration of ##dW = V \, dq##, where ##q## varies between ##0## and ##Q## and ##V## is the potential when the sphere has a charge ##q##.

Last edited:
TSny said:
I don't follow how you can write the change in potential energy as ##W## as ##Q \Delta V##. This would imply that all of the charge ##Q## undergoes the same change in potential ##\Delta V##. Also, your expression for ##\Delta V## does not appear to account for the change in potential of the second sphere.

As you noted, the potential ##V## at the surface of an isolated sphere of charge ##Q## and radius ##r## is ##V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r}## (taking ##V = 0## at inifinity). But the potential energy of the sphere is not ##W = QV##.

The potential energy of an isolated sphere can be derived using integration of ##dW = V \, dq##, where ##q## varies between ##0## and ##Q## and ##V## is the potential when the sphere has a charge ##q##.
How do I account for the potential of the second sphere in my equation of the potential change?
Also, I see you point with the integral, thank you very much. But if I am to perform it, what potential should I calculate with? The potential of the first or second sphere?

You have found the final charge of each sphere correctly.

The spheres are so far apart that you may consider the total energy of the system be the sum of the energy of each sphere alone. So, you just need to know how to calculate the energy of an isolated sphere in terms of its charge and radius. You can do this by integration as mentioned. Or, if you are familiar with the capacitance of an isolated spherical conductor, then you can use the formula for the energy of a capacitor.

Likes Marcus95
TSny said:
You have found the final charge of each sphere correctly.

The spheres are so far apart that you may consider the total energy of the system be the sum of the energy of each sphere alone. So, you just need to know how to calculate the energy of an isolated sphere in terms of its charge and radius. You can do this by integration as mentioned. Or, if you are familiar with the capacitance of an isolated spherical conductor, then you can use the formula for the energy of a capacitor.

Oh I see, so we don't have to integrate at all! Am I rigth in that the potential energy of a charged sphere is simply its potential multiplied by its charge? I tried to apply:
## \Delta V = \frac{Q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1} - \frac{Q_1^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_1}- \frac{Q_2^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r_2} ## but ended up with the exact same answer. :(

Marcus95 said:
the potential energy of a charged sphere is simply its potential multiplied by its charge?
No. Imagine letting a small charge dq from the sphere go to infinity. The work done is Vdq. But now the charge on the sphere is a bit less.
As all the charge leaks away, what is the average potential?

Marcus95 said:
When the spheres are connected together, they become equipotential and will have charges

Are the spheres conductors ?

I also have a similar problem, so I am asking.

Likes SammyS
Buffu said:
Are the spheres conductors ?

I also have a similar problem, so I am asking.
If they are not then, trivially, nothing changes, so it is safe to assume they are.

haruspex said:
If they are not then, trivially, nothing changes, so it is safe to assume they are.

If they are insulators then charge won't flow from shere ##r_1## to sphere ##r_2##, then the surface won't become equipotential right ?

Buffu said:
If they are insulators then charge won't flow from shere ##r_1## to sphere ##r_2##, then the surface won't become equipotential right ?
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.

Then why they are trivally same ?

Buffu said:
Then why they are trivally same ?
I didn't say they were. I wrote that when you connect them nothing changes.

Likes Buffu

1. How does the distance between two charged spheres affect the change in electrostatic energy?

The change in electrostatic energy between two spheres is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the spheres decreases, the change in electrostatic energy increases, and vice versa. This is because the closer the spheres are, the stronger the electrostatic force between them, resulting in a larger change in energy.

2. What factors besides distance can affect the change in electrostatic energy between two spheres?

Besides distance, the magnitude of the charges on the spheres and the medium between them can also affect the change in electrostatic energy. The larger the charges on the spheres, the greater the change in energy. Additionally, the type of medium between the spheres can impact the change in energy as different materials have different dielectric constants, which affect the strength of the electrostatic force.

3. Is the change in electrostatic energy always positive?

No, the change in electrostatic energy between two spheres can be positive or negative. It is positive when the spheres have the same charge, and negative when they have opposite charges. This is because like charges repel each other, resulting in an increase in energy, while opposite charges attract, leading to a decrease in energy.

4. Can the change in electrostatic energy between two spheres be zero?

Yes, the change in electrostatic energy can be zero if the spheres have equal and opposite charges, or if they are both neutral. In these cases, the electrostatic force between the spheres is balanced, resulting in no change in energy.

5. How is the change in electrostatic energy related to the work done in moving two spheres apart or together?

The change in electrostatic energy is equal to the work done in moving two spheres apart or together. This means that the energy required to move the spheres against the electrostatic force is equal to the change in electrostatic energy. Similarly, the energy released when the spheres are moved towards each other is also equal to the change in electrostatic energy.