Calculating the Factor of Safety

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Brinkley23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Safety
In summary, The FOS for the 16mm diameter bolt with a force of 8KN exerted on it is 14.5 in tension and 15.08 in shear. The determining FOS would be 14.5, meaning the bolt has a higher chance of breaking in tension than in shear. If the load on the bolt is increased, the tension FOS will be the first one to go below 1, making it the crucial FOS in operation.
Brinkley23
Homework Statement
Ultimate Tensile stress = 500NM/m2 and Ultimate Shear stress = 300MN/m2, determine the FOS
Relevant Equations
Direct stress worked out to be 34.47mPa
Shear stress worked out to be 199mPa
Hi,

I need to work out the FOS for a 16mm diameter bolt with a force of 8KN exerted on it.

I have already worked out:
direct stress = 34.47mPa
shear stress = 199mPa

Information given:
Ultimate Tensile stress = 500NM/m2
Ultimate Shear stress = 300MN/m2

The FOS calculation I have been given to work this out is - Maximum allowable stress / stress

Would I use the Ultimate tensile stress (500) as the maximum allowable stress value? and the direct stress value (34.47) giving me a FOS of:

FOS: 500/34.47 = 14.51

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the factor of safety in shear smaller of greater than in tension (the one you calculated)? What does this tells you?

Thanks for replying,

Would I be calculating that by taking the Ultimate shear stress (300N) and the shear stress (199mPa)?

Assuming yes, FOS 300/199 = 1.51

FOS tensile - 14.51
FOS shear - 1.51

It asks me to determine the factor of safety in operation?

So you have two FOS, one in shear, one in tension. Based on those values, do you think your bolt has more chances of breaking in shear or tension? If you increase the load on the bolt, which FOS will be going below 1 first? Answering those questions will tell you which one is your crucial FOS.

Likes Brinkley23 and Lnewqban
That makes sense...but I think I made an error with original workings out.

My full revised workings are below:

Tensile stress (direct force/area)

6928 / 2.01 x 10∧-4 = 34467661.7 Pa (34.47 MPa)

Shear stress (shear force/area)

4000 / 2.01 x 10∧-4 = 19900498 Pa (19.90 MPa)

TASK - "Determine the Factor of Safety in Operation, assuming that" -
- Ultimate tensile stress is 500MN/m2
- Ultimate shear stress is 300MN/m2

My answers based on the values above and using the calculation (max allowable stress/stress):

FOS (tensile) = 500/34.47 = 14.5
FOS (shear) = 300/19.9 = 15.08

...they just seem too high to me? but I KNOW NOTHING! haha

Thanks again if you do cast your eyes over this!

Can anyone please say if he got this write?

According to the values given, those are the FOS for each case. The smallest one would be the determining FOS.

1. What is the Factor of Safety (FoS) and why is it important in engineering?

The Factor of Safety (FoS) is a measure of how much stronger a structure or material is compared to the maximum load it is expected to bear. It is calculated by dividing the maximum load by the actual load on the structure. The FoS is important in engineering because it ensures that structures and materials have a margin of safety, protecting against potential failure and ensuring the safety of those who use them.

2. How is the Factor of Safety calculated?

The Factor of Safety is calculated by dividing the maximum load that a structure or material can withstand by the actual load that it is expected to bear. This can be represented by the equation: FoS = Maximum Load / Actual Load.

3. What is a safe value for the Factor of Safety?

The safe value for the Factor of Safety can vary depending on the specific application and industry. However, in general, a FoS of 1.5 or higher is considered safe and provides a sufficient margin of safety for most engineering projects.

4. What factors should be considered when calculating the Factor of Safety?

When calculating the Factor of Safety, engineers must consider a variety of factors such as the materials used, the design of the structure, the expected load, and any potential hazards or risks. These factors can affect the strength and stability of the structure and should be carefully evaluated to determine an appropriate FoS.

5. How can a low Factor of Safety be improved?

If the calculated Factor of Safety is too low, there are a few ways it can be improved. One option is to increase the strength of the materials used in the structure. Another option is to adjust the design to distribute the load more evenly. Additionally, engineers can also reduce the expected load or incorporate safety features to increase the margin of safety.