Calculating the force on a shaft

In summary: There are no reaction forces on the upright arm because the weight is not being applied at an angle to the horizontal arm.
Blad9
I would like to attach bearings on a shaft, see: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3856547#post3856547

Therefore I would like to calculate the axial and radial force on the shaft, so I can select the right bearings.

The picture looks a as following: http://i39.tinypic.com/kd1naq.jpg
kd1naq.jpg

So I have a shaft, with a plate attached on it with a weight of 10kg. A load will be putted on the plate wit a weight of 37,5kg. Now I would like to calculate the axial and radial force on the shaft.

Sketch:
http://i41.tinypic.com/kd1iqx.jpg
kd1iqx.jpg

Sum Fx to A = o

Fxa = o

Sum Fy to A = o

(-375N x 0,625 x 0,3125) – (100 x (0,725/2)) + Fya x 0,725 = 0
-73,2 - 37,6 + Fya x 0,725 = 0
-110,8 + Fya x 0,725 = 0
Fya = 110,8 / 0.725
Fya = 153N

Som M t.o.v. A = o
M in a = 375 x (0,725 – 0,3125) + 100 x 0,3625
M in a = (375 x 0,4125) + 36,25
M in a = 191Nm

The shaft would have an axial force of F = 153 N and radial momentus of M = 191 Nm according to this calcuation.

Does this look ok, or should I calculate it completely differently?
[/quote]

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to go back and shows the bearings in your FBD, and include their forces in your force and moment sums.

Also, it is not entirely clear where some of your dimensions came from; can you identify them, please?

What dimensions are not identified? Do you see the picture?

Yes, I saw the picture. One of the difficulties is that you have worked entirely with numerical values, rather than giving symbolic names to each of your dimensions. If you gave each of them a symbol, before plugging in the number, then it would be much easier to see where each item came from.

Also, in the FBD, I do not see any reaction forces on the upright arm; why?

Related to Calculating the force on a shaft

What is the formula for calculating the force on a shaft?

The formula for calculating the force on a shaft is F = (T * R) / L, where F is the force, T is the torque applied, R is the radius of the shaft, and L is the length of the shaft.

How do you determine the torque applied to a shaft?

The torque applied to a shaft can be determined by multiplying the force applied to the shaft by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation T = F * d.

What is the significance of the radius in calculating the force on a shaft?

The radius of the shaft is an important factor in calculating the force because it affects the amount of leverage the force has on the shaft. A larger radius will result in a greater force being applied to the shaft.

What units should be used when calculating the force on a shaft?

The units used for calculating the force on a shaft will depend on the units used for torque and length. Generally, torque is measured in Newton-meters (N*m) and length is measured in meters (m). This would result in the force being measured in Newtons (N).

How can the force on a shaft be reduced?

The force on a shaft can be reduced by decreasing the torque applied or by increasing the radius of the shaft. Additionally, using materials with higher strength and stiffness can also help reduce the force on a shaft.