Calculating the Fourier integral representation of f(x)

In summary, The function given is f(x) = e^{-x}, x> 0 and f(-x) = f(x). The Fourier integral representation of f(x) can be found by using the equations A(alpha) = 1/pi int_-infinity^infinity f(u)cos(alpha u) du and B(alpha) = 1/pi int_-infinity^infinity f(u)sin(alpha u) du, and plugging in f(x) = e^{-x}. To evaluate the integral, the limits of integration must be broken into two parts, one for the left half of the number line and one for the right half, and limits must be used due to the integrals being improper functions. The result of the integr
J6204

Homework Statement

Considering the function $$f(x) = e^{-x}, x>0$$ and $$f(-x) = f(x)$$. I am trying to find the Fourier integral representation of f(x).

Homework Equations

$$f(x) = \int_0^\infty \left( A(\alpha)\cos\alpha x +B(\alpha) \sin\alpha x\right) d\alpha$$

$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\cos\alpha u du$$

$$B(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\sin\alpha u du$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\cos\alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\infty e^{-u}\cos \alpha u du$$
**Notice here how I used 0 and iinfinity as my bounds, is this correct?**
Below is the calculation of this integral, I will save myself sometime and just post the answer I got.
$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\alpha ^2 +1}$$
Calculting $$B(\alpha),$$

$$B(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\sin\alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\infty e^{-u}\sin \alpha u du$$

**Notice again here how I used 0 and infinity as my bounds, is this correct?**
Below is the calculation of this integral, I will save myself sometime and just post the answer I got.
$$B(\alpha) = \frac{\alpha}{\alpha^2 +1}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
J6204 said:

Homework Statement

Considering the function $$f(x) = e^{-x}, x>0$$ and $$f(-x) = f(x)$$. I am trying to find the Fourier integral representation of f(x).
Wouldn't this be the same as saying ##f(x) = e^{-|x|}##, for ##x \in \mathbb R##?
J6204 said:

Homework Equations

$$f(x) = \int_0^\infty \left( A(\alpha)\cos\alpha x +B(\alpha) \sin\alpha x\right) d\alpha$$

$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\cos\alpha u du$$

$$B(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\sin\alpha u du$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\cos\alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\infty e^{-u}\cos \alpha u du$$
**Notice here how I used 0 and iinfinity as my bounds, is this correct?**
Hard to say, since you just posted the value you got after you found after integrating.
J6204 said:
$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\alpha ^2 +1}$$
Calculting $$B(\alpha),$$

$$B(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)\sin\alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\infty e^{-u}\sin \alpha u du$$

**Notice again here how I used 0 and infinity as my bounds, is this correct?**
Same comment as above.
J6204 said:
$$B(\alpha) = \frac{\alpha}{\alpha^2 +1}$$

Mark44 said:
Wouldn't this be the same as saying ##f(x) = e^{-|x|}##, for ##x \in \mathbb R##?
Hard to say, since you just posted the value you got after you found after integrating.
Same comment as above.

I checked my answer on wolfram alpha and these calculations were correct. I actually did forget to include the $$\frac{1}{pi}$$ that was outside of the integral. Am I correct in using 0 to infinity to my bounds or should it be -infinity to infinity?

J6204 said:
Am I correct in using 0 to infinity to my bounds or should it be -infinity to infinity?
The latter, I believe, but it's not clear to me how you are defining your function.
In your problem statement, you say
##f(x) = e^{-x}, x > 0## and then ##f(-x) = f(x)##. The second part makes no sense if x > 0.
Also, ##e^{-x}## is defined at x = 0, so there's no reason not to include it in the interval.

Mark44 said:
The latter, I believe, but it's not clear to me how you are defining your function.
##f(x) = e^{-x}, x > 0## and then ##f(-x) = f(x)##. The second part makes no sense if x > 0.
Also, ##e^{-x}## is defined at x = 0, so there's no reason not to include it in the interval.
okay so below is the calculation of the integral but then how would I find the definite integral using -infinity and infinity?

$$A(\alpha) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int f(u)\cos\alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi} \int e^{-u}\cos \alpha u du = \frac{1}{\pi } \frac{e^{-x}(\alpha sin(\alpha x)- (cos(\alpha x ))}{\alpha ^2 + 1}$$

when I tried to plug it into a online calculator it could not calculate the definite integgral

Your problem is still not clear to me as to what the domain of your function f is. You didn't clear up the uncertainty I expressed in post #4:
Whether to use limits of 0 and ##\infty## or ##-\infty## and ##\infty## is directly connected to what the domain of your function is.
J6204 said:
when I tried to plug it into a online calculator it could not calculate the definite integgral
Just use reasonably large numbers. I don't think there will be much difference between an upper limit of 1000 versus an upper limit of 10,000.

Mark44 said:
Your problem is still not clear to me as to what the domain of your function f is. You didn't clear up the uncertainty I expressed in post #4:

Whether to use limits of 0 and ##\infty## or ##-\infty## and ##\infty## is directly connected to what the domain of your function is.
Just use reasonably large numbers. I don't think there will be much difference between an upper limit of 1000 versus an upper limit of 10,000.

I am a little confused of the domain also. The only states that the function is f(x) = e^{-x} , x> 0 and f(-x) = f(x)

J6204 said:
I am a little confused of the domain also. The only states that the function is f(x) = e^{-x} , x> 0 and f(-x) = f(x)
In that case, I think the problem is asking for the Fourier integral representation of ##f(x) = e^{-|x|}##.
On the interval ##(-\infty, 0], f(x) = e^x##, and on the interval ##[0, \infty), f(x) = e^{-x}##. I don't see any reason not to include 0 in each of these intervals, since ##e^0 = 1##.
To evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \dots## you'll need to break this integral into two parts: one for the left half of the number line, and the other for the right half. Also, you'll need to use limits, as one or the other limit of integration makes each an improper integral.

Mark44 said:
In that case, I think the problem is asking for the Fourier integral representation of ##f(x) = e^{-|x|}##.
On the interval ##(-\infty, 0], f(x) = e^x##, and on the interval ##[0, \infty), f(x) = e^{-x}##. I don't see any reason not to include 0 in each of these intervals, since ##e^0 = 1##.
To evaluate ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \dots## you'll need to break this integral into two parts: one for the left half of the number line, and the other for the right half. Also, you'll need to use limits, as one or the other limit of integration makes each an improper integral.

can I use the fact that it is a even function therefore B will be 0 and I will have to calculate A?

J6204 said:
can I use the fact that it is a even function therefore B will be 0 and I will have to calculate A?
Sounds reasonable to me.

What is a Fourier integral representation?

A Fourier integral representation is a mathematical tool used to express a function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies. It is a way to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

How do you calculate the Fourier integral representation of a function?

To calculate the Fourier integral representation of a function, you need to use the Fourier transform. This involves taking the function and applying an integral formula to it, which results in a complex-valued function. The complex-valued function is then expressed as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies, giving the Fourier integral representation.

What is the purpose of calculating the Fourier integral representation?

The Fourier integral representation is useful for analyzing and understanding the behavior of a function. It can help identify the dominant frequencies present in the function and how they contribute to the overall shape of the function. It is also used in many areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing, image analysis, and quantum mechanics.

What types of functions can be represented using the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral can be used to represent a wide range of functions, including continuous, periodic, and non-periodic functions. It is also applicable to functions in multiple dimensions, such as functions of time and space.

What are some real-world applications of the Fourier integral representation?

The Fourier integral representation has many practical applications, such as in signal processing to analyze sound and images, in physics to study wave phenomena, in engineering to design filters and control systems, and in mathematics to solve differential equations. It is also used in various fields of science, including astronomy, chemistry, and biology.