Calculating the hydrostatic pressure on a tube

In summary, the conversation is about someone working on a submarine project and needing help with calculating parameters for a perspex tube. They are looking for formulas to determine deformation, critical pressure, and potential failure methods. They are directed to engineering calculators and two specific websites for assistance.
Orben24
Hey guys.
I'm working on a submarine project and my goal is submerging it to 100m, but I'm having trouble calculating the parameters i need.
I'm working with a perspex tube (E is about 1.3Gpa), 26mm inside diameter and 30mm outside diameter. the tube X meters long with inside pressure of 1 atm.

I'd be happy if you guys could direct me to the right formulas (and how to derive them) for the deformation (ε), the critical pressure (Pc) and would it fail from buckling or by compression.

Thanks for the help! very much :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How do you calculate hydrostatic pressure on a tube?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column. For a tube, you would use the height of the fluid column inside the tube.

3. What units are used for hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. How does the diameter of the tube affect hydrostatic pressure?

The diameter of the tube does not affect hydrostatic pressure, as long as the height of the fluid column remains the same. The pressure is dependent on the height of the fluid column, not the diameter of the tube.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating hydrostatic pressure on a tube?

Hydrostatic pressure calculations are important in various fields such as civil engineering, environmental science, and fluid mechanics. It is used to design and maintain water systems, calculate the stability of dams and levees, and understand the behavior of fluids in different environments.