Calculating the Joint PMF of Two Independent Poisson Random Variables

• Thread starter chili237
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint
In summary, to solve the problem of finding pX,X+Y(k,n)=P(X=k, X+Y=n), the convolution theorem can be used if the random variables involved (in this case X and Y) are independent. The joint pmf for two independent random variables is the product of their individual pmfs. Further research into the convolution theorem may provide more guidance on how to approach this problem.
chili237
X~Pois(λ)=> px(k)=e-λλk/k!

Y~Pois(μ)=> py(k)=e-μμk/k!

Find pX,X+Y(k,n)=P(X=k, X+Y=n)

...I know the pmf for X+Y ~ Pois(λ+μ)

As I understand the joint pmf for two independent random variables would be the product of the two individual pmfs. However as X+Y is dependent on X I got really stuck trying to think about this one and how to set it up.

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
chili237 said:
X~Pois(λ)=> px(k)=e-λλk/k!

Y~Pois(μ)=> py(k)=e-μμk/k!

Find pX,X+Y(k,n)=P(X=k, X+Y=n)

...I know the pmf for X+Y ~ Pois(λ+μ)

As I understand the joint pmf for two independent random variables would be the product of the two individual pmfs. However as X+Y is dependent on X I got really stuck trying to think about this one and how to set it up.

Any help would be great. Thanks :)

The X+Y problem in general can be solved through the convolution theorem. The requirement is that all random variables in the summation (in this case they are X and Y but they could X,Y,Z,W as in X+Y+Z+W) be independent.

Do you know about the convolution theorem? If not have you made any attempts at the problem? If so could you please show them so we can help you.

I'm completely new to probability, so I'm learning as I go. The convolution theorem isn't something I know or have in any of my materials, but I'll do some research and hopefully that'll point me in the right direction.

1. What is a joint pmf?

A joint pmf (probability mass function) is a mathematical function that represents the probability distribution of two or more random variables. It provides the probabilities for all possible combinations of values for the variables.

2. How is the joint pmf of X and X+Y determined?

The joint pmf of X and X+Y is determined by finding the probabilities for all possible combinations of values for the two random variables. This can be done by using the formula P(X=x, X+Y=y) = P(X=x) * P(X+Y=y|X=x), where P(X=x) is the probability of X taking on a specific value and P(X+Y=y|X=x) is the conditional probability of X+Y taking on a specific value given that X has a specific value.

3. What is the difference between a joint pmf and a marginal pmf?

A joint pmf represents the probability distribution of two or more random variables, while a marginal pmf represents the probability distribution of a single random variable. In other words, a joint pmf provides the probabilities for all possible combinations of values for the variables, while a marginal pmf provides the probabilities for a single variable without considering the other variables.

4. How is the joint pmf used in statistical analysis?

The joint pmf is used in statistical analysis to understand the relationship between two or more random variables. It can help determine the likelihood of certain outcomes and the strength of the relationship between the variables. It is also useful in calculating conditional probabilities and making predictions.

5. Can the joint pmf be used for continuous random variables?

No, the joint pmf is only applicable for discrete random variables. For continuous random variables, the joint probability density function (pdf) is used instead. The main difference is that the joint pmf gives the probability of a specific combination of values, while the joint pdf gives the probability of a range of values for the variables.