Joint PMF of x and y: Calculating c, Marginal PMFs, and Expected Values

• Thread starter orangesun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the joint pmf of x and y, as well as determining the values of c and the marginal pmfs of x and y. It also touches on finding e(x), the pmf of 3x-2y, and e(3x-2y) in two ways. The conversation involves creating a table and filling it in with values, using the fact that the sum of all probabilities must be 1 to find c, and solving for c to complete the solution.
orangesun

Homework Statement

Hi, if you could offer help to any of these questions, it would be great, i was unable to attend my lectures this week and I had no idea how to do these.

The joint pmf of x and y is p x,y = c(x^2 + y^2) x,y = 1,2,3 Find:

a. c and the marginal pmfs of x and y
b. e(x)
c. the pmf of 3x-2y
d. e(3x-2y) in two ways

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From first investigation, I think that I have to create a table with
1,1 1,2 1,3
2,1 2,2, 2,3
3,1 3,2 3,2
and x^2 + y^2 = 1 and the p = 1/9 since there's only 9 options.

i have no idea how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
" p = 1/9 since there's only 9 options." I have no idea what you mean by this. "p" is a function, not a number. Did you mean "c= 1/9"?

No, [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] is NOT 1. [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1+ 1= 2[/itex] when x= y= 1, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4+ 1= 5[/itex] when x= 2, y= 1, etc.

Start by actually filling in your table: What is p(1, 1), p(1, 2), etc.? Those will have a c in them. Then find c by using the fact that the sum of all the probabilities must be 1.

Thanks for your reply,

I'll give it a shot now.

x,y 1 2 3
1 2c 5c 10c
2 5c 8c 13c
3 10c 13c 18c
is this right so far?
if so, then is it just 83c = 1? c=1/84

i hope it is...

What is the Joint PMF of p(x,y)?

The Joint PMF of p(x,y) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of two random variables, x and y, taking on specific values simultaneously.

How is the Joint PMF of p(x,y) calculated?

The Joint PMF of p(x,y) is calculated by taking the probability of each possible combination of x and y and summing them together. It can also be calculated by multiplying the individual PMFs of x and y together.

What does the Joint PMF of p(x,y) tell us?

The Joint PMF of p(x,y) tells us the likelihood of two random variables, x and y, occurring together. It can also help us understand the relationship between these variables and how they impact each other.

What is the difference between the Joint PMF of p(x,y) and the marginal PMFs of x and y?

The Joint PMF of p(x,y) describes the probability of two variables occurring together, while the marginal PMFs of x and y describe the probability of each variable occurring individually. The Joint PMF is calculated using both the marginal PMFs.

How is the Joint PMF of p(x,y) used in statistical analysis?

The Joint PMF of p(x,y) is used in statistical analysis to understand the relationship between two variables and to make predictions based on their joint probabilities. It is also used in hypothesis testing and model building.