Calculating the Limit Using Riemann Sum with Starred Part?

Then I can't help you and you have to show the complete problem statement.In summary, the conversation is about a request for an explanation on how to calculate a limit using Riemann sum, particularly for the starred part. The homework problem involves calculating a limit using a Riemann sum and the poster is asking for clarification and guidance on how to approach the problem.
devinaxxx

Homework Statement

http://i66.tinypic.com/aesd1u.png

can someone explain to me how can i get the limit using riemann sum especially the starred part? i was so confused thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt at a solution in the picture

Physics news on Phys.org
aesd1u.png

Hello devina,

As you may know, PF keeps threads for years. You sure this tinypic link is sustainable :smile: ?

Any substantial difference between ##\log## and ##\ln## ? If not, then why not stick to one of the two ?

The stars are dazzling in front of my eyes. But even before the first two I lose track. What is at the left hand side of the first ##=## sign ? Surely not the limit and also not the expression. Nor the logarithm of the expression, if I read carefully. Help !

Homework Statement

Shouldn't it be something like
Calculate the limit $$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} {1\over n} \left ( (2n)!\over n! \right)^{1\over n} $$ using a Riemann sum ?
This because I have seldom seen an excercise saying ' calculate this sum of limit ' :rolleyes:

Homework Equations

Something like ##\int = \lim \sum ...## ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Here you describe how you work out the (logarithm of the) expression to somethng that you can integrate

Work carefully and check each small step -- also check if what you wrote is what you meant to write

I suppose that in your case you want to follow a worked out example in the book, but even there the same rules apply.
That's why I remarked sourly that what's on the second line (after the first = sign) is not what is at the end of the first line.

What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing the area into smaller, simpler shapes and adding up their individual areas.

What is the purpose of using Riemann sum to find limits?

Riemann sum can be used to find limits by taking smaller and smaller intervals and adding up their areas, ultimately getting closer and closer to the exact value of the limit.

How is Riemann sum related to the concept of integration?

Riemann sum is closely related to integration as it uses the same principle of dividing an area into smaller parts and adding them up. In fact, integration is often considered as the limit of Riemann sum as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

What are the different types of Riemann sums?

The most commonly used types of Riemann sums are left Riemann sum, right Riemann sum, midpoint Riemann sum, and trapezoidal Riemann sum. These differ in the type of rectangles used to approximate the area under the curve.

What is the significance of Riemann sum in real-life applications?

Riemann sum has various applications in real-life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, where it is used to find approximate solutions to problems involving continuous variables. It is also the basis of integral calculus, which is used in many practical fields such as finance and statistics.