Calculating the mass and number of atoms of a structural I beam.

In summary, the structural I beam made of iron has dimensions of d = 2 cm, w = 31 cm, and h = 28 cm, with a length of 1.53 m. The density of iron is 7560 kg/m^3 and the atomic weight is 55.85 g/mol. When calculating the mass of a section 1.53 m long, the volume of the empty space must be taken into account. Using this method, the mass can be calculated to be approximately 200 kg. Additionally, the number of atoms in this section can be calculated using Avagadro's number, which is approximately 6.02214e23 atoms.
hsbc2003

Homework Statement

A structural I beam is made of iron> A view of its cross-section and its dimensions is shown in the figure, where d = 2 cm, w= 31 cm, h= 28 cm and the length (not shown) of the beam is L= 1.53 m.
fndyzp.jpg

The density of iron is 7560 kg/m^3. The atomic weight of iron is 55.85 g/mol and Avagadro number is Na= 6.02214e23/mol.

What is the mass of a section 1.53 m long? (in kg)
How many atoms are there in this section? (in units of atoms)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the volume of the I beam ( (h*w*l)-(the volume of the empty space))
and then I multiply it by the density of iron to get the mass.

but the answer was wrong, thus i I tried to calculate the number of atoms using Avagadro's number the answer will be wrong as well...

I hope you help me calculating the mass...

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is fine, you probably made a math error in calculating the dimensions of the empty space, or perhaps you forgot to convert centimeters to meters. You should show your work so that we can point out the errors. You might want to calculate the volume in another way, by looking at the volume of the three separate parts of the beam (top, bot, and middle pieces) and add them up, as a check on your work.

Thanks for your reply PhanthomJay

I used the method that you suggested for calculating the volume

((0.31)*(0.02)*(1.53))*2 + (0.24)*(0.02)*(1.53) = 0.026316 m^2

thus, mass= 0.026316 m^2 * density of iron= 198.949 Kg
I rounded it to 1 significant figures and I got 2.0e2 kg

Good news ... answer is correct

thanks a lot for the help

Related to Calculating the mass and number of atoms of a structural I beam.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of an I beam?

The formula for calculating the mass of an I beam is: mass = density x volume. The density of steel is typically around 7850 kg/m^3.

2. How do you calculate the volume of an I beam?

The volume of an I beam can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area by the length of the beam. The cross-sectional area can be found by multiplying the width by the height of the beam.

3. What is the difference between mass and number of atoms?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while the number of atoms refers to the quantity of individual atoms present in the object.

4. How do you calculate the number of atoms in an I beam?

The number of atoms in an I beam can be calculated by dividing the mass of the beam by the atomic mass of the element that makes up the majority of the beam (usually steel). This will give the number of moles, which can then be multiplied by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to get the number of atoms.

5. Can the mass and number of atoms of an I beam vary?

Yes, the mass and number of atoms of an I beam can vary depending on the dimensions and composition of the beam. Different types of steel may have different densities, and the dimensions of the beam can also affect its mass and number of atoms.