Calculating the molarity when mixing two different solutions

In summary: with different molarities. its like saying you have a liter of water and a liter of milk and they both have 1 liter of water in them, but the milk has 2 liters of milk in it. it doesnt make sense.
AMan24

Homework Statement

You mix 45-mL of 0.1174M K2SO4 and 35-mL of 0.2504M HNO3

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm supposed to find the number of moles of the K2SO4 and add it to the number of moles of 0.2504, then add the two volumes, and divide the total number of moles by the total volume.

My question is, if i write a balanced equation, i get K2SO4 + 2HNO3 = 2KNO3 + H2SO4, does that mean for the number of moles of HNO3, before i add it to the number of moles of K2SO4 i have to multiply the number of moles of HNO3 by 2, because of the coefficient.

I could also be doing this problem entirely wrong by assuming a reaction is occurring and even needing to balance. There is nothing in my book talking about reactions when mixing two different solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the complete problem statement?

Likes AMan24
Bystander said:
That's the complete problem statement?

In this case the problem said to find the molarity of each ion present in the solution formed. But i can already do that, and on my test tomorrow there's going to be a question that has a part a) and b) (professor told us) and its going to ask for the ion concentration and the molarity of final solution.

Now you got me thinking that it isn't possible to do what I'm doing when given two different solutions, and that you can only find the ion concentration when mixing two different solutions, not the molarity. Is this true? If that's true then my professor might have meant mixing two same solutions of different molarity.

AMan24 said:
might have meant mixing two same solutions of different molarity
That would be my take on it.

Likes AMan24
Bystander said:
That would be my take on it.

yeah you're definitely right, i just realized how it doesn't even make sense to have one molarity for a mixture of solutions

1. What is molarity and why is it important in mixing solutions?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a solute dissolved in a liter of solution. It is important in mixing solutions because it allows scientists to accurately determine the amount of a substance in a given volume of solution.

2. How do I calculate the molarity when mixing two solutions with different concentrations?

To calculate the molarity when mixing two solutions, you will need to know the initial molarity and volume of each solution. You can then use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 and V1 are the initial molarity and volume of one solution, and M2 and V2 are the final molarity and volume of the mixed solution.

3. Can I mix solutions with different molarities and still get an accurate molarity measurement?

Yes, you can mix solutions with different molarities and still get an accurate molarity measurement. However, it is important to make sure that the volume of each solution is accurately measured and that the solutions are thoroughly mixed before taking a sample for measurement.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should mix the solutions?

There is no specific order in which you need to mix the solutions. However, it is important to note that the final molarity will depend on the volume of each solution added, so be sure to follow the appropriate volumes and use the correct formula for calculating molarity.

5. Can I use any units of measurement for volume and molarity when calculating the final molarity?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement for volume and molarity when calculating the final molarity. Typically, molarity is measured in moles per liter (mol/L) and volume is measured in liters (L). However, it is important to check the specific units of measurement used in your experiment or lab procedure.