Calculating the net force acting on a object from diagrams

In summary, In the first problem, the net force is the sum of the vectors of all the forces acting on the object. In the second problem, you made a mistake in converting a simple problem into a hard one. The sine and cosine rules you are using is converting a very simple problem into a hard one. This is something that you should have learned in the first place.
hg10tr

Homework Statement

Calculate the net force acting on each object indicated in the following diagrams.
(diagrams attached)

Homework Equations

Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)
SOHCAHTOA

The Attempt at a Solution

a) c2 = a2 + b2 – 2ab cos(c)
c2 = 222 + 382 – 2(22)(38) cos(55)
c2 = 968.980
c = 31.1 N
sin⁡A/a= sin⁡B/b= sin⁡C/c
sin A/22 N= sin⁡(55)/31.1 N
Sin A= 22 N sin⁡(55)/31.1 N
A = 35.4 º
F net = 31.1 N [W35.4ºN]

b) I'm not sure how to do this one but I tried the following...

sin45=x/75
x = 12.02 N

8 Newtons + 10 Newtons = 18 Newtons

c=√a^2+b^2
=(18)^2+(12.02)^2
=√324+144
=√468
c=21.63N

And given this I can use the sin law to find cos (a)? I'm really unsure how to approach this one.

c)
32 degrees + 24 degrees = 56 degrees

c^2=a^2+b^2-2abCosC

=(15)^2 + (12)^2 -2(15)(12)Cos56

=√369-201.3

=12.94 N

Sin A / a = sin B/b = sin c/c

Sin (b) / 12 = sin (56) / 12.94

sin B = 0.7688

B = 50.2 degrees?

F net = 12.94 N [E 50.2 degrees N]

This is a concept I am not too confident with and I would greatly appreciate it if someone can look over my attempts and point out where I'm going wrong and steer me in the right direction. Thanks

Attachments

• diagrams.png
    diagrams.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,298
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need sine and cosine rules here. First step is to break the components in x and y direction. Then sum up the x and y component independently.
Are you familier with Vectors?

We have learned a little bit about vectors, unfortunately we are only shown how to solve these types of problems with the sine and cosine law.

Okay then i can help you through the first problem. Then you will be able to do second and third yourself, or nay other problem of this kind.

In the first problem there are two Forces acting on the object. Can you write the Vectors for the two forces?

The net Force is simply the sum of the vectors of all forces.

Fnet = F1 + F2 +...+Fn- If there are n forces acting on object. F1,F2... are vectors of Forces

We haven't learned much of anything about vectors, we are currently on a unit about Newton's first law. I'm doing an online course and the examples that are given me to solve these problems just show how to use the sine and cosine law.

The sine and cosine rules that you are using is nothing but the concept of vector addition. They should have taught you vectors first. You found the magnitude of the first problem right but the direction is not correct.

You have made mess of second problem. The sine and cosine rules you are using is converting a very simple problem into a hard one. These problems with concepts of vectors is very easy one.
Even Vectors isn't a very difficult thing to understand. It will take you less than an hour or two to understand the two dimension vectors. So if your online course includes Vectors, you should first go through it.

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all individual forces.

How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add together all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are in the same direction, you add them together. If they are in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the forces acting on the object as arrows, with the direction and magnitude of each force labeled.

How do you use a free-body diagram to calculate net force?

To calculate net force from a free-body diagram, you need to identify and add together all the forces acting on the object. The resulting sum is the net force.

What are some common types of forces shown in free-body diagrams?

Some common types of forces shown in free-body diagrams include gravity, normal force, friction, tension, and applied force.