Calculating the Optimal Dimensions for a cylinder.

In summary, to calculate the optimal dimensions for a cylinder of volume 498.76cm^3 with minimum material usage, we use the surface area formula and take the derivative to find the critical point. Solving for R, we get R = ∛(V/2π), which is the optimal radius for the cylinder.
JessicaDay
I have to calculate the optimal dimensions for a cylinder of this volume, if the amount of materials used to build it is to be kept to a minimum.

The volume of the cylinder is = 498.76cm^3

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR,

V= pi R^2 , h= 498.76/pi R^2
S.A =2piR^2 + 2piRh
= 2piR^2 + 2piRv/piR^2
= 2piR^2 + 2piR x 498.76/piR^2
= 2piR^2 + 997.52/r

Now i don't know where to go from here. have i done it right so far?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaDay said:
= 2piR^2 + 997.52/r
Right. Equivalently $S(R)=2\pi R^2+\dfrac{2V}{R}.$ The minimum of $S(R)$ should be obtained for $R$ such that $S'(R)=0.$ Then,
$$S'(R)=4\pi R-\dfrac{2V}{R^2}=0,\; \dfrac{4\pi R^3-2V}{R^2}=0,\;4\pi R^3-2V=0,\; R=\sqrt[3]{\dfrac{V}{2\pi}}.$$ Could you continue?

Related to Calculating the Optimal Dimensions for a cylinder.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, and h is the height.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder is SA = 2πrh + 2πr², where SA is the surface area, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius, and h is the height.

3. What is the difference between a right cylinder and an oblique cylinder?

A right cylinder has a base that is perpendicular to its height, while an oblique cylinder has a base that is at an angle to its height.

4. How do you find the optimal dimensions for a cylinder?

The optimal dimensions for a cylinder depend on the specific purpose or goal. However, the volume and surface area formulas can be used to determine the dimensions that will result in the desired volume or surface area.

5. Can the optimal dimensions for a cylinder change?

Yes, the optimal dimensions for a cylinder can change depending on the desired volume or surface area, as well as any constraints or limitations that may affect the dimensions. Additionally, as the desired volume or surface area changes, the optimal dimensions may also change.