Moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia for a hollow cylinder with given dimensions and mass, where the rotation axis is through the center along the axis of symmetry. The conversation also touches on the use of the equation dm = ρdV and the representation of dV as a thin ring with length h, leading to the calculation of the volume of a cylinder.
Carpetfizz

Homework Statement

Show that a hollow cylinder of radius R_1, outer radius R_2, and mass M, is I=1/2M(R_1^2+R_2^2) if the rotation axis is through the center along the axis of symmetry.

Homework Equations

$$dm = \rho dV$$
$$dV = (2 \pi R)(dR)(h)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was mainly confused about why dV is expressed as (2piR)(dR)(h) since the Volume of a cylinder is 2pir^2h. I know that the variable of integration is R so there has to be a dR in there somewhere, but I'm having trouble understanding the rationale.

Physics news on Phys.org
Carpetfizz said:

Homework Statement

Show that a hollow cylinder of radius R_1, outer radius R_2, and mass M, is I=1/2M(R_1^2+R_2^2) if the rotation axis is through the center along the axis of symmetry.

Homework Equations

$$dm = \rho dV$$
$$dV = (2 \pi R)(dR)(h)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was mainly confused about why dV is expressed as (2piR)(dR)(h) since the Volume of a cylinder is 2pir^2h. I know that the variable of integration is R so there has to be a dR in there somewhere, but I'm having trouble understanding the rationale.

##dV## is not a cylinder. It is a small piece of a cylinder. Can you see what shape it is?

It's a thin ring, sorry.

Carpetfizz said:
It's a thin ring, sorry.

It has length ##h##, so it is effectively a thin hollow cylinder. Using this ##dV## would be one way to show that the volume of a cylinder is ##\pi R^2 h##. You could also use this to get the volume of your hollow cylinder.

You could try that as a preliminary exercise before you do the MoI calculation. I find that can be a useful test that you've set up your integration properly, as you know the answer in advance.

What is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property of the object that depends on its mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder derived?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder can be derived by considering the sum of infinitesimal masses within the cylinder and their distance from the axis of rotation. This leads to the equation I = MR2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

What is the difference between the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder and a hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a solid cylinder is greater than that of a hollow cylinder with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass distribution of a solid cylinder is farther from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

Why is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder important?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is important in many engineering and physics applications. It is used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder, and it also plays a role in determining the stability and dynamics of rotating objects.

How does the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder change with the axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder changes depending on the axis of rotation. For example, if the axis of rotation is through the center of mass, the moment of inertia is at its minimum. If the axis of rotation is parallel to the cylinder's axis, the moment of inertia is at its maximum.