Calculating the resolution limit using Fermat's principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental limits of resolution as described by Richard Feynman in his lectures. He provides a criterion for resolution and discusses the formula 27.17, which can also be expressed as D = λ/nsin(θ). The conversation also includes a derivation of this formula, with some discrepancies between the results obtained by the individuals. It is noted that Feynman's formula may only apply for small angles.
albertrichardf
Hi,
I read the Feynman Lectures Volume 1, Chapter 27, section 27-7, which can be here. In the lecture he describes the fundamental limits of resolution and provides a criterion.

Here is the diagram I am referring to, figure 27.-9:

upload_2018-12-9_19-38-52.png

There are two light sources, ##P## and ##P'## There is an optical system, which is just a line ##SR## and it gets the light from sources ##P## and ##P'## to converge. Suppose that the image of ##P## is formed at ##T##, which is where the lines ##PST## and ##PRT## meet. Now draw the lines ##P'RT## and ##P'ST##. If the two points ##P## and ##P'## are to be resolved, Feynman gives the formula 27.17:
$$t_2 - t_1 < \frac {1}{\nu} $$

where ##t_2## and ##t_1## are the times for the paths ##P'RT## and ##P'ST##, respectively and ##\nu## is the frequency of the light.

He then goes on to state that this equation is exactly equivalent to the following:
$$ D = \frac {\lambda}{n sin (\theta)} $$
where ##D## is the distance ##PP'##, ##\lambda## is the wavelength of the light, ##n## is the refractive index of the light at point ##P## and ##\theta## is the opening angle of the lens at ##SR##.

I have tried to derive this equation, but I ended up with a factor of 2 in the denominator. That is, I got:
$$ D = \frac {\lambda}{2n sin (\theta)} $$

To get that I dropped perpendiculars between ##P'S## and ##PS##, and ##P'R## and ##PR##. Then I calculated the difference in distances and summed the differences. The sum of the differences gives me ##P'R - P'S##, since ##PR = PS##. Then I end up with:
$$ P'R - P'S = 2 D sin\theta $$

I then multiplied throughout by ##\frac nc ## to get the times on the left hand side. Then I used the inequality that was given to obtain the result I did.

What did I do wrong in this derivation?

Thank you for answering.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-9_19-38-52.png
    upload_2018-12-9_19-38-52.png
    9 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
If ## \theta ## is the half-angle of the lens, then I agree with your result, which I derived by a Taylor series expansion (with ## D ## as the variable), to compute the difference in ## t_2-t_1 ##. ## \\ ## The derivation is relatively straightforward, but slightly complex, involving the Pythagorean theorem, and having the projections of ## t_2 ## and ## t_1 ## onto the lens be equal to ## w ## and ##w-2D ##, with ## SR=2w-2D ##. ## \\ ## If ## \theta ## is the full angle of the lens, then the approximation ## 2 \sin(\theta) \approx \sin(2 \theta) ## is needed to get Feynman's result. ## \\ ## Anyway, that's what I got, but I didn't double-check my calculus and algebra very carefully.

Charles Link said:
If ## \theta ## is the half-angle of the lens, then I agree with your result, which I derived by a Taylor series expansion (with ## D ## as the variable), to compute the difference in ## t_2-t_1 ##. ## \\ ## The derivation is relatively straightforward, but slightly complex, involving the Pythagorean theorem, and having the projections of ## t_2 ## and ## t_1 ## onto the lens be equal to ## w ## and ##w-2D ##, with ## SR=2w-2D ##. ## \\ ## If ## \theta ## is the full angle of the lens, then the approximation ## 2 \sin(\theta) \approx \sin(2 \theta) ## is needed to get Feynman's result. ## \\ ## Anyway, that's what I got, but I didn't double-check my calculus and algebra very carefully.
Thank you for replying.
He refers to the angle ##\theta## as the "opening angle of the lens", which seems to mean that ##\theta## is actually the full angle of the lens. However, he states that ##D > \frac {\lambda}{n sin \theta}## is exactly equivalent to ##t_2 - t_1 > \frac 1 \nu## and he does not give any indication that this formula applies only for small angles.

Albertrichardf said:
Thank you for replying.
He refers to the angle ##\theta## as the "opening angle of the lens", which seems to mean that ##\theta## is actually the full angle of the lens. However, he states that ##D > \frac {\lambda}{n sin \theta}## is exactly equivalent to ##t_2 - t_1 > \frac 1 \nu## and he does not give any indication that this formula applies only for small angles.
Using ## \theta ## as the half angle, I got the result that ## 2 n D \sin(\theta)=\lambda ##, and the only assumption there is that ## D ## is small. ## \\ ## Let ## s=PR=PS ##, I got that the distance corresponding to ## t_2 ##, which I will call ## \bar{t}_2=[(s \cos(\theta)^2+w^2]^{1/2} ##, and ## \bar{t}_1=[(s \cos(\theta))^2+(w-2D)^2]^{1/2} ##. I then expanded ## \bar{t}_1 ## in a Taylor series, with ## D ## as the variable.

Charles Link said:
Using ## \theta ## as the half angle, I got the result that ## 2 n D \sin(\theta)=\lambda ##, and the only assumption there is that ## D ## is small. ## \\ ## Let ## s=PR=PS ##, I got that the distance corresponding to ## t_2 ##, which I will call ## \bar{t}_2=[(s \cos(\theta)^2+w^2]^{1/2} ##, and ## \bar{t}_1=[(s \cos(\theta))^2+(w-2D)^2]^{1/2} ##. I then expanded ## \bar{t}_1 ## in a Taylor series.
I also got the same result, although I did not assume that D is small.
From geometry,
$$s - P'S = D sin \theta $$

$$ P'R - s = D sin \theta $$

And then the sum of the two equations gives ##P'R - P'S = 2 D sin \theta ##
Somehow he gets rid of the factor of 2.

I do think you made the assumption somewhere that the location is such to have ## \theta ## be what it is, which is essentially that ## D ## is small. The reason is that in the limit of ## D ## being very large, ## \bar{t}_2-\bar{t}_1=RS ##. The difference being proportional to ## D ## is a first order result for small ## D ##. As ## D \rightarrow +\infty ##, the difference does not go to ## +\infty ##. ## \\ ## Additional note: These relations regarding resolution of images are , in general, somewhat imprecise, so they really do not need to be highly precise in an algebraic sense to be worth mentioning, as Feynman did here.

Last edited:
I see, thank you for answering. If they are imprecise, then I suppose that the small angle approximation of ##sin 2\theta = 2 sin \theta## would also work, even if it was not mentioned. That would explain how he obtained the end result, provided that ##\theta## is the angle between ##PR## and ##PS##.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle is a fundamental principle in optics that states that light will take the path of least time when traveling between two points. This principle is used to explain the behavior of light in various optical systems, including the calculation of the resolution limit.

2. How is Fermat's principle used to calculate the resolution limit?

Fermat's principle is used to calculate the resolution limit by considering the path of light from a point source to a point on the image plane. By applying the principle, we can determine the minimum distance between two point sources that can still be resolved by an optical system.

3. What factors affect the resolution limit calculation using Fermat's principle?

The resolution limit calculation using Fermat's principle is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of light, the optical system's numerical aperture, and the distance between the point sources and the image plane. These factors determine the resolution limit of the system.

4. What is the formula for calculating the resolution limit using Fermat's principle?

The formula for calculating the resolution limit using Fermat's principle is given by: d = λ/(2NA), where d is the minimum distance between two point sources, λ is the wavelength of light, and NA is the numerical aperture of the optical system.

5. How is the resolution limit calculated for different types of optical systems?

The resolution limit can be calculated for different types of optical systems by considering the specific properties of the system, such as the type of lens used, the refractive index of the medium, and the distance between the point sources and the image plane. These factors will affect the calculation of the resolution limit using Fermat's principle.