The 1.22 factor in the angular resolution

In summary: So why not just take$$\theta=\frac{\lambda}{D}\enspace?$$In summary, angular resolution is the first zero of the intensity function of the Airy disk. It is defined as the first zero of the intensity function (in small-angle approximation) of the Airy disk.
greypilgrim
Hi.

The angular resolution is calculated through
$$\theta=1.22\frac{\lambda}{D}\enspace.$$

It's the first zero of the intensity function (in small-angle approximation) of the Airy disk:
$$I\left(\alpha\right)=I_0\left(\frac{2J_1\left(\pi\cdot\alpha\cdot\frac{D}{\lambda}\right)}{\pi\cdot\alpha\cdot\frac{D}{\lambda}}\right)^2$$

So if the angle between two light sources is ##\theta##, the central maximum of one source coincides with the first minimum of the other and vice versa.

Though this makes sense, I tried a different approach and tried to find the smallest ##\theta## where the central peak of
$$I\left(\alpha\right)+I\left(\alpha-\theta\right)$$
divides into two. This happens way earlier, at about ##\theta\approx0.94\frac{\lambda}{D}##:
##\theta=0.90\frac{\lambda}{D}:##
90.png

##\theta=0.94\frac{\lambda}{D}:##
94.png

##\theta=1.00\frac{\lambda}{D}:##
100.png

Wouldn't it make more sense to define ##\theta\approx0.94\frac{\lambda}{D}## as angular resolution?

Attachments

• 90.png
    90.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 953
  • 100.png
    100.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 886
  • 94.png
    94.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 880
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a rule of thumb, to an extent.

But note that your graph is sampling hundreds of points across the diameter of one Airy disc. In other words, a CCD with the capability of your graph would need tens of thousands times more pixels than the one you'd normally fit to the instrument producing the Airy discs. That'll be a penny or two in R&D costs, and the resolution gain is tiny. Easier to build a bigger telescope. With adaptive optics.

You might like to try again with CCD elements that integrate over some finite area and not knowing where the discs are centred. The Nyquist criterion tells you that you'll get a decent performance gain until the detector pitch is about half the width of the Airy disc, and then diminishing returns will well and truly set in.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
It's a rule of thumb, to an extent.
So why not just take
$$\theta=\frac{\lambda}{D}\enspace?$$

greypilgrim said:
Hi.

The angular resolution is calculated through
$$\theta=1.22\frac{\lambda}{D}\enspace.$$

It's the first zero of the intensity function (in small-angle approximation) of the Airy disk:
$$I\left(\alpha\right)=I_0\left(\frac{2J_1\left(\pi\cdot\alpha\cdot\frac{D}{\lambda}\right)}{\pi\cdot\alpha\cdot\frac{D}{\lambda}}\right)^2$$

So if the angle between two light sources is ##\theta##, the central maximum of one source coincides with the first minimum of the other and vice versa.

Though this makes sense, I tried a different approach <snip>

There are different approaches to defining 'angular resolution'- the Rayleigh criterion was simply the first. The Sparrow criterion uses a different metric (the central dip is 5%, not (IIRC) 20%). The Nyquist limit is more appropriate for sampled imaging systems. Your approach simply defines yet another criterion.

Likes vanhees71, Charles Link and Ibix
Andy Resnick said:
The Sparrow criterion uses a different metric (the central dip is 5%, not (IIRC) 20%).
Having read up on the topic a little, I think the Sparrow criterion is exactly the idea I had (appearance of a central dip). Based on a 5 % central dip, it seems to be called Dawes' limit.

Likes Charles Link

What is the 1.22 factor in angular resolution?

The 1.22 factor is a constant value used in the calculation of angular resolution in optics. It is derived from the diffraction pattern of a circular aperture.

How is the 1.22 factor used in angular resolution?

The 1.22 factor is multiplied by the wavelength of light and divided by the diameter of the aperture to determine the minimum resolvable angle of an optical instrument.

Why is the 1.22 factor important in angular resolution?

The 1.22 factor takes into account the diffraction of light, which limits the ability of optical instruments to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. It allows for a more accurate calculation of the resolving power of an optical instrument.

Can the 1.22 factor be used for all types of optical instruments?

Yes, the 1.22 factor can be used for any type of optical instrument, as long as the diameter of the aperture and the wavelength of light are known. It is a universal constant in the field of optics.

Is the 1.22 factor the only factor that affects angular resolution?

No, there are other factors such as atmospheric conditions, lens quality, and aberrations that can also affect angular resolution. However, the 1.22 factor is a fundamental component in the calculation of angular resolution and cannot be ignored.