Calculating the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about making a bell out of a used compressed gas cylinder and tuning it to a specific note or frequency. The speaker suggests doing a search for "How to tune a bell" and trying various sources as calculation may not be the best approach. They also express interest in seeing pictures and preferably audio or video of the final product.
DIYNerd
I would like to make a bell out of a used compressed gas cylinder, but I would like to tune it to a specific note or frequency, e.g. A (440Hz). Can someone help with a formula to calculate this so I can cut it precisely?

Likes CWatters
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

That sounds like fun. I just did a search for "How to tune a bell." It found numerous web pages and Youtube videos on that subject. I suggest that you try several of those sources first. It may be that calculation is not the best strategy.

And report back, please! I'd love to see pictures, audio&video wouuld be even better!

Likes CWatters

What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder?

The formula for calculating the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder is f = (n/2L) * sqrt(T/m), where f is the resonant frequency, n is the number of nodes, L is the length of the cylinder, T is the tension of the gas, and m is the mass of the gas.

What are the factors that affect the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder?

The factors that affect the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder include the length of the cylinder, the tension of the gas, and the mass of the gas. These factors can be adjusted to change the resonant frequency of the cylinder.

How do I measure the length of a gas cylinder for calculating resonant frequency?

The length of a gas cylinder can be measured by using a ruler or tape measure to determine the distance between the two ends of the cylinder. It is important to measure from the center of the end caps to ensure accuracy.

Can the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder can be changed by adjusting the factors that affect it. For example, changing the length of the cylinder or the tension of the gas can alter the resonant frequency.

Why is calculating the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder important?

Calculating the resonant frequency of a gas cylinder is important because it helps us understand the natural frequency at which the gas inside the cylinder will vibrate. This information can be useful in designing and optimizing gas-powered devices and systems.