Calculating the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the volume of air escaping at different intervals and the relationship between circumference, volume, and flow rate. The suggested method is to calculate the radius and volume at each interval and then average the values to determine the volumetric flow rate. However, the final interval may not be accurate due to the balloon collapsing. The speed can also be determined using the flow rate and the area of the neck opening.
emzy168
Homework Statement
We can feel that as we blow up the balloon, the pressure inside it stays more or less constant; this is due to the elastic properties of the rubber sheet. Therefore, when released, the air will exit the balloon at a constant velocity. To test this idea, a round balloon was inflated with the aperture pinched shut between thumb and finger. Then air was let out in bursts by releasing the aperture, and the following data recorded for how the diameter varied with time:

Time (s) Circumference (cm)
0 72.5
1 65.5
2 57
3 44.5
4 30.5
4-5 minimum

Estimate the volumetric flowrate of the air leaving the balloon, and thus the average speed of the exiting air (assume the aperture has diameter 1 cm).
What is this speed on the Beaufort Scale, and is this reasonable?
Relevant Equations
Possibly Q = Av or some rate of change equation
I'm really not sure how to start this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the first time interval of 1sec: how much air escaped?

Likes emzy168
What is the relationship between circumference and volume?

haruspex said:
What is the relationship between circumference and volume?
Thanks for the reply!
If I can calculate the radius at each of the circumference values using:

Radius = circumference / (2*pi)

Then calculate the volume at each interval using:

Volume = (4/3) * (pi*r^3)

I can calculate the volume at each interval and thus the volume leaving at each interval.

Would the answer for each interval just be the volume per second so it’s a volumetric flowrate? And then I could average the values?

hutchphd said:
Consider the first time interval of 1sec: how much air escaped?
Thank you!

emzy168 said:
I can calculate the volume at each interval and thus the volume leaving at each interval.

Would the answer for each interval just be the volume per second so it’s a volumetric flowrate? And then I could average the values?
Yes (although the last interval is suspect because the balloon collapses fully). From that number and the area of the neck opening you can get the speed.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon?

The formula for calculating the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon is: v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the balloon in meters.

What factors affect the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon?

The speed of an airstream leaving a balloon is affected by several factors including the height of the balloon, the weight of the balloon, the air pressure inside the balloon, and the surrounding air temperature and pressure.

How does the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon change over time?

The speed of an airstream leaving a balloon decreases over time due to air resistance and gravity. As the balloon rises, the air pressure decreases and the balloon expands, causing the air to escape at a slower rate.

What units are used to measure the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon?

The speed of an airstream leaving a balloon is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

How can the speed of an airstream leaving a balloon be measured?

The speed of an airstream leaving a balloon can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a stopwatch and measuring the distance the balloon travels in a certain amount of time, using specialized equipment such as an anemometer, or using mathematical calculations based on the balloon's height and weight.