Calculating the velocity of a molecule

In summary: In this case, converting to km/h. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the derivative of a given function needs to be found. The solution is derived and the final equation v= √(2kT/m) is obtained. However, the unit of the velocity is in J/kg and needs to be converted to km/h, resulting in the final answer of 1501 km/h. It is emphasized to always consider units when solving problems.
Victoire
Hi, I'm stuck on a problem. I have this function that represents the velocity:
f(v)=v2e(-mv2)/(2kT)

T is the temperature and equals 293.15K
m = 4.65 .10-26 kg
k = 1.38 .10-23 J/K

The problem wants us to find the derivative of the function. I found:
df/dv= (2v) e(-mv2)/(2kT)+v2e(-mv2)/(2kT)(-2mv/2kT)
= ve(-mv2)/(2kT) (2- (mv2/kT))

I know the derivative I found is right, but now, I have to find the velocity for df/dv=0

We know v>0 and ex>0
So, df/dv=0 => (mv2)/kT = 2
=> v= √(2kT/m)

That's where I'm stuck. The book tells me the answer is 1500km/h.
I don't understand this solution. I calculated many many times and didn't found the right solution. Can someone please help me? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
What answer did you get? Did you get 417? What are the units of that?
If you got a different answer, can you show us exactly how you got it? Your formula looks right.

mjc123 said:
What answer did you get? Did you get 417? What are the units of that?
If you got a different answer, can you show us exactly how you got it? Your formula looks right.

Yes, I got 417!
I just plugged in all the values in the last equation that I wrote, v= √(2kT/m).
Since k is in J/K, T in K and m in kg, the unit of v is J/kg.
J also equals kg m2 s-2 so I assume the unit of v can also be m2s-2?

Oh, I got it! My answer is then in m.s-1 and I just need to multiply by 3.6.
417*3.6=1501 km.h-1

Thank you for the help :)

Can't emphasise enough the importance of thinking UNITS, UNITS, UNITS; ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS! It will save you a lot of trouble and avoid a lot of mistakes, both with homework questions like this and real problems in doing science.
For example, if you are asked for a velocity, the answer CANNOT be (e.g.) 417. It must be 417 SOMETHING - m/s, km/h, furlongs per fortnight or whatever. If you did that you would immediately see that your answer was not necessarily wrong, but another step was needed.

Likes Victoire

Related to Calculating the velocity of a molecule

1. How is the velocity of a molecule calculated?

The velocity of a molecule can be calculated using the formula v = √(3kT/m), where v is the velocity, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the molecule in kilograms.

2. What is the significance of calculating the velocity of a molecule?

Calculating the velocity of a molecule is important in understanding its behavior and interactions. It can provide information about diffusion, reaction rates, and the overall physical properties of the molecule.

3. Can the velocity of a molecule vary?

Yes, the velocity of a molecule can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of molecule. It is also important to note that the velocity of a molecule is an average value and individual molecules may have slightly different velocities.

4. How does temperature affect the velocity of a molecule?

According to the formula v = √(3kT/m), an increase in temperature will lead to an increase in the velocity of a molecule. This is because as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, resulting in higher velocities.

5. Can the velocity of a molecule be measured experimentally?

Yes, the velocity of a molecule can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy or particle tracking. These methods allow for the observation and analysis of individual molecules and their velocities.