Calculating the velocity of the center of mass of a system

In summary, the final x-component of the velocity of the center of mass of the gun+bullet system after firing is 0, while the final y-component is given by musinθ/(M+m). This can be explained by considering the external forces acting on the system, including the normal force from the ground and the weight of the bullet. If the gun is shot downwards, the final velocity of the gun would depend on the relative weights and the explosive force of the firing.
kunparekh18
Hello everyone. First post here. I'll go the question straightaway.

Homework Statement

A gun of mass "M" placed on a smooth horizontal surface fires a bullet of mass "m" with a velocity "u" at an angle "θ" with the horizontal (ground). The velocity of the center of mass of the gun+bullet system after firing is (in terms of M,m,u and θ)?

Homework Equations

I know the velocity of the center of mass is given by the equation

v = mv / m

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the above equation to V = (Mv1 + mv2)/(M+m), where v2 and v1 are the velocities of masses M and m after firing.

However, I do not know what values to substitute for v1 and v2. I substituted v2 to be ucosθ as it is along the horizontal, and then used the conservation of linear momentum principle to get v1=-mucosθ/M

substituting these values if the original formula, I got a wrong answer. The final answer is supposed to be

musinθ/(M+m)

What mistake have I done here? Thanks in advance for explaining.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, kunparekh18. Welcome to PF!

Did you consider separately the x (horizontal) and y (vertical) components of the velocity of the center of mass?

Since there are no external forces in the x direction, you should be able to deduce the final x-component of the velocity of the CM without any calculation.

TSny said:
Hello, kunparekh18. Welcome to PF!

Did you consider separately the x (horizontal) and y (vertical) components of the velocity of the center of mass?

Since there are no external forces in the x direction, you should be able to deduce the final x-component of the velocity of the CM without any calculation.

Thanks!

I did consider the x and y components of the velocity of the center of mass separately.

As you said, there is no external force acting along the x axis, so I can apply conservation of linear momentum there.

0 + 0 = Mv1 + mucosθ

==> v1 = -(mucosθ)/M

So with that and my initial equation, I get the x component of the velocity of the center of mass to be 0.

Now there is one external force acting along the y axis, mg (weight of the bullet) (normal force by surface on M and weight Mg cancel out as there is no acceleration of M along y axis). How do I conserve momentum there?

By logic, I know that y component of velocity of M will be downwards in the -y direction, but since there is a surface there, there will be no displacement of the block in that direction. Hence, v1 along y-axis = 0. Using that and my first equation, I get the velocity of the center of mass to be

musinθ/M+m , which is perfectly correct. But how I do I derive that v1 along the y-axis is zero mathematically? I have got the answer, but I need a reasoning behind it (not for my homework, but for my own understanding. The question is multiple choice anyway :p )

Bump?

I think your reasoning is fine.

The ground is a constraint that prevents the gun from moving in the negative y direction. So that's the reason you can set the final vy for the gun equal to zero. I don't think there is a need to seek a mathematical reason.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
I think your reasoning is fine.

The ground is a constraint that prevents the gun from moving in the negative y direction. So that's the reason you can set the final vy for the gun equal to zero. I don't think there is a need to seek a mathematical reason.

Thank you! I still have a doubt, what if the gun was shot downwards? Then the y component of the gun would be in the positive y direction? What would I do then? Thanks in advance.

kunparekh18 said:
I still have a doubt, what if the gun was shot downwards? Then the y component of the gun would be in the positive y direction? What would I do then? Thanks in advance.

What you would do in this case would depend on whether or not you can neglect the external impulse due to the force of gravity (weight) acting on the gun during the time of the explosion that propels the bullet.

If the gun is light enough compared to the explosive force of the firing, then you can ignore the external effect of gravity and use conservation of momentum to find the recoil velocity of the gun immediately after the firing. It would be like firing the gun in deep outer space.

If the gun is heavy, then it would not be a good approximation to assume conservation of momentum in the y-direction for the gun-bullet system. If the gun is heavy enough, then the gun might not even leave the ground when it is fired pointed downward. The effect of firing the gun would be to cause the normal force of the ground on the gun to decrease during the firing, but otherwise the gun would remain on the ground.

If the gun is light enough to leave the ground but still too heavy to ignore the gravitational force, then you would need to know more details about the explosive force of the firing in order to determine the speed at which the gun leaves the ground.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass of a system is the point at which the total mass of the system is considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the system would balance if it were placed on a fulcrum.

How is the velocity of the center of mass calculated?

The velocity of the center of mass can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the individual velocities of all the objects in the system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each object by its velocity and dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the system.

What is the significance of calculating the velocity of the center of mass?

The velocity of the center of mass is significant because it represents the overall motion of the system. It can help determine the direction and speed at which the system is moving, as well as how it responds to external forces.

Can the velocity of the center of mass change over time?

Yes, the velocity of the center of mass can change over time if there is an external force acting on the system, such as friction or a push or pull. However, in the absence of external forces, the velocity of the center of mass will remain constant due to the principle of conservation of momentum.

How is the velocity of the center of mass related to the momentum of the system?

The velocity of the center of mass is directly proportional to the momentum of the system. This means that as the velocity of the center of mass increases, so does the momentum of the system, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the center of mass.