Calculating Theoretical Y Position of a Ping Pong Ball with Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the theoretical Y position for each frame of a ping pong ball launched at a 45 degree angle with initial velocities in the X and Y directions. The formula for Y position takes into account air resistance, which is proportional to velocity squared and has a sense opposite to the velocity vector. The equations of motion also incorporate the parameters of cross section, viscosity, density, and form of the ball, and must be solved numerically.
mikefitz
I have the initial X and Y velocity of a ping pong ball that was launched from a mechanical device at angle Theta (45 degrees). X_i = 3.378 m/s, Y_i = 2.027 m/s.

I have a series of frames I've captured with a video capture program, which I pointed at the ping pong ball and the software calculated the X and Y position for that frame.

I need to calculate the theoretical Y position for each frame using some formula...

Which formula would accomplish this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The y position is given with the equation of displacement of the ball in the y-direction, which is y(t) = y0 + v0*sin(Theta)*t - 1/2*g*t^2, where v0 is the initial velocity and y0 the initial y-coordinate.

Since a ping pong ball is very light, relative to it's volume, you must take into account air resistance.
Drag is proportional to velocity squared and has a sense opposite to the velocity vector.
[tex]D = kv^2[/tex]
The parameter k is dependent of the cross section of the body, the viscosity and density of the air and of the form of the body. You must estimate it from the experimental data you have.
Your equations of motion are:
[tex]x(t) = x_0 + v_{0x}t -\frac{1}{2m}kv^2sin(\theta)t^2[/tex]
[tex]v_x(t) = v_{0x} - \frac{kv^2sin(\theta)t}{m}[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = y_0 + v_{0y}t -\frac{1}{2m}kv^2cos(\theta)t^2 - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]v_y(t) = v_{0y} - \frac{kv^2cos(\theta)t}{m} - gt[/tex]
[tex]v^2 = v_x(t)^2 +v_y(t)^2[/tex]
[tex]\theta = tan^{-1}\frac{v_y(t)} {v_x(t)}[/tex]
These equations must be solved numerically.

What is a theoretical y position?

A theoretical y position is a predicted or calculated location on the y-axis of a graph or coordinate system. It is based on mathematical models and equations rather than actual data.

Why is theoretical y position important in science?

Theoretical y position allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses in a controlled manner. It also helps to understand the relationships between variables and make conclusions about scientific phenomena.

How is theoretical y position calculated?

Theoretical y position is calculated using mathematical equations or models that describe the relationship between variables. These equations may be derived from previous experimental data or based on known physical laws.

What are the limitations of theoretical y position?

Theoretical y position is limited by the accuracy and validity of the mathematical model or equation used to calculate it. It may also be affected by external factors that were not included in the model.

Can theoretical y position be proven?

No, theoretical y position cannot be proven as it is based on predictions and mathematical models rather than concrete evidence. However, it can be supported or refuted through further experimentation and data analysis.