Calculating Thermal Beam Deflection for Space Boom Arm Design

In summary, The group is working on designing a boom arm for space use. They have most of the project figured out, but are unsure how to determine the beam's deflection if one side reaches 300 degrees while the other is at zero. The equation they have seen for this scenario is not applicable, as it is for when the two ends of the beam have different temperatures. After attempting a derivation, they have come up with an equation for cantilever tip deflection that takes into account the coefficient of thermal expansion, cantilever length and depth, and temperatures at the top and bottom fibers. This equation also assumes small deflections.
dmalwcc89
Hey I am working with a group on a project where we basically have to design a boom arm for use in space. We've got most of the project figured out but there is a section where we have to determine the beam's deflection if the top side of the beam reached a 300 degree temperature while the bottom side was fixed at zero.

Obviously I've seen the equation delta=(thermal constant*length^2*temp change)/thickness but that is reresentative of when the two beam ENDS are differing temperatures, not the two beam SIDES as in my case.

My question is what equation would I be looking at to determine this information?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tried a quick derivation (too lengthy to show here), and got a cantilever tip deflection of y = 0.5*alpha*(L^2)(Tb - Tt)/h, where alpha = coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), L = cantilever length, h = cantilever depth, Tb = temperature of cantilever bottom fiber, and Tt = temperature of cantilever top fiber.

I get the same answer as nvn, by assuming a bending strain of [itex]\epsilon=\alpha\Delta T/2[/itex] on the top and [itex]-\alpha\Delta T/2[/itex] on the bottom, plus an axial strain of [itex]\alpha\Delta T/2[/itex] to keep the bottom strain-free. For narrow beams, the amount of bending strain would corresponds to an effective stress of [itex]\sigma=E\epsilon=\alpha\Delta TE/2[/itex], or an effective bending moment of [itex]M=\alpha\Delta TIE/h[/itex]. This applied moment would cause a deflection of [itex]\delta=\alpha\Delta T L^2/2h[/itex], assuming small deflections. (This may be the same derivation nvn used.)

What is thermal beam deflection?

Thermal beam deflection is a technique used in scientific research to measure the changes in temperature of a material by detecting the deflection of a beam of light passing through it.

How does thermal beam deflection work?

Thermal beam deflection works by directing a beam of light through a material and measuring the amount of deflection caused by changes in temperature. The amount of deflection is directly related to the temperature changes in the material.

What are the applications of thermal beam deflection?

Thermal beam deflection has a wide range of applications in scientific research, including measuring changes in temperature in materials under different conditions, studying the thermal properties of materials, and detecting small temperature changes in chemical reactions.

What are the benefits of using thermal beam deflection?

One of the main benefits of thermal beam deflection is its high sensitivity, allowing for precise measurement of small temperature changes. It is also a non-invasive technique, making it ideal for studying delicate materials or processes.

Are there any limitations to thermal beam deflection?

While thermal beam deflection is a highly sensitive technique, it is limited to materials that are transparent or semitransparent to the beam of light. It also requires careful calibration and control of external factors such as air currents to ensure accurate measurements.