Gear Wear Rig Design: Calculating Load for Maximum Durability

In summary, the project goal is to test the durability of plastic and 3D printed gears. However, the 3D prints will be electroplated to see what difference it potentially makes. The gears will be tested at low speeds and loads, but higher loads and speeds may be needed for better accuracy.
Aciek
Below I've attached a sketch of the rig designed to wear down the gears.f
Firstly my project idea is to test the durability and overall wear of plastic & 3D printed gears however the 3D prints will be electroplated to see what difference it potentially makes.

The idea of the rig is to have a motor attached to the two gears which I want to see being worn down. In order to do so however I need to determine the load that they'll be working on and I am not sure how to approach it so it's most efficient.
The pulley would have a belt which would be sliding on top with a mass attached on one side this way I can add on more weight to increase the friction and therefore the load if needed, and the other side is would have the belt fixed.

My question is as I feel a bit stuck now for calculations and general of where to start off with the calculations as I will need to work a little backwards.

Should I select the gears first, and find out what the teeth maximum load is? From there determine the friction torque of the pulley and then determine the required motor?
I will really appreciate the help with what kind of equations I should use for determining these.

Apologies in the sketch the pulley should be going clockwise.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 422
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. I hope we can help.

I would describe your project as two parts.
  1. You have some gears that must meet requirements, including wear.
  2. You want to design a gear testing rig. The rig should handle a range of gears. It should also be adjustable so that it duplicates the required conditions on the gears being tested.
Perhaps a third part might be added; how to instrument the rig to record the results.

Is that a good explanation of your goals?

Hi, thank you for the quick reply.
Mostly I can select any gears that I want as I will be 3D printing duplicates, just need to select them and I've decided for now I will only work with nylon spur gears, that's why the design is very simple.

Your rig will work at low speeds and loads. Be aware that you show no way to measure the tension on the slack side of the friction belt, so your only knowledge of the gear torque will be the motor current. The accuracy will be low, although it may be good enough for your purposes.

For higher loads and speeds, plus better accuracy, search four square gear test rig. Most of the hits discuss precision tachometers and strain gages. If your accuracy requirements are not too stringent, none of that stuff is necessary.

Gears are usually tested in pairs on parallel shafts. A motor drives one shaft with two fixed gears on that shaft. The lay-shaft has one meshed gear fixed, the other is spring loaded to set the contact force. When the motor runs it only has to turn the gears, it does not need to overcome or set the gear face contact pressure which is set only by the spring coupling.

I've the gears now selected and will be sourcing the pulley and belt now. After having a look at an appropriate motor so I've made progress. Still open for any suggestions and discussion. Thank you all.

jrmichler said:
search four square gear test rig.
That is good advice.
Aciek said:
I've the gears now selected and will be sourcing the pulley and belt now. After having a look at an appropriate motor so I've made progress. Still open for any suggestions and discussion.
Do you understand that you only need to apply a closed loop of forces between the faces of four gears that remain meshed. Force is not work until a distance is travelled. In your design, all the energy sourced by the motor will go into heating and burning the brake belt.

1. What is Gear Wear Rig Design?

Gear Wear Rig Design is a process used in engineering and product design to calculate the load-bearing capacity of gears in order to maximize their durability and longevity.

2. Why is calculating load important for gear durability?

Calculating load is important because it helps determine the maximum amount of weight or force that a gear can withstand without failing. This information is crucial in designing gears that can withstand the stresses and strains of their intended use, and ensures their longevity and reliability.

3. What factors are considered when calculating load for gear wear rig design?

When calculating load for gear wear rig design, factors such as the material of the gear, its size and shape, the type of load it will be subjected to, and the operating conditions are all taken into account. Other factors, such as the speed and temperature at which the gear will operate, may also be considered.

4. How is load calculated for gear wear rig design?

Load is typically calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the factors mentioned above. These equations may vary depending on the type of gear being designed and the specific load it will be subjected to. Computer simulations and physical testing may also be used to verify the calculated load.

5. What are some common techniques used to increase gear durability?

There are several techniques that can be used to increase gear durability, such as using high-quality and durable materials, optimizing the gear design for its intended use, and applying surface treatments or coatings to improve wear resistance. Other techniques may include proper lubrication, heat treatment, and precision manufacturing processes.