Calculating Time Difference and Length Contraction in Train Overtaking Scenario

• Thread starter Amrator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary: I see, so would the formula for the rear-clock-ahead effect be ##\gamma\frac{Lv}{c^2}##?Yes, that's correct. You can also use the Lorentz Transformation to find the difference in time between the fronts and rears coinciding in frame B.
Amrator
Homework Statement
Train A has proper length ##L##. Train B moves past A (on a parallel track, facing the same direction) with relative speed ##\frac{4c}{5}## (as measured by either train; so each one sees the other move at ##\frac{4c}{5}##). The length of B is such that A says that the fronts of the trains coincide with at exactly the same time as backs coincide. What is the time difference between the fronts coinciding and the backs coinciding, as measured by B? Solve this in two ways: (a) by using length contraction, and (b) by using the rear-clock-ahead effect (among other things).
Relevant Equations
$$t_{observed} = \gamma t_{proper}$$
$$L_{observed} = \frac{L_{proper}} {\gamma}$$
$$t_R - t_L = \frac{Lv}{c^2}$$
$$V = \frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}$$
a) So I think I solved a. "The length of B is such that A says that the fronts of the trains coincide with at exactly the same time as backs coincide." This tells us that in A's frame, B has the same length as A. So ##L_{observed}## in A's frame is simply ##L##. To obtain the proper length of B, you would then simply multiply ##L## by ##\gamma##. In B's frame, the length of A is contracted by ##\frac{3}{5}##. Now, to obtain the time difference, we subtract the length contraction of A from the proper length of B, and we divide that result by the speed of A. Doing so gives us ##\frac{4L}{3c}##.

b) We have to use the rear-clock-ahead effect which is ##t_R - t_L = \frac{Lv}{c^2}##. The rear-clock-ahead effect basically states that if a train with length ##L## moves with speed##v## relative to you, then you observe the rear clock reading ##\frac{Lv}{c^2}## more than the front clock, at any given instant. So we have to add it to some other time to obtain the time difference. The issue I don't know how to get that time. At the initial time, the front clock will read ##-\frac{Lv}{c^2}##.

1599701459860.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:
Homework Statement:: Train A has proper length ##L##. Train B moves past A (on a parallel track, facing the same direction) with relative speed ##\frac{4c}{5}## (as measured by either train; so each one sees the other move at ##\frac{4c}{5}##). The length of B is such that A says that the fronts of the trains coincide with at exactly the same time as backs coincide. What is the time difference between the fronts coinciding and the backs coinciding, as measured by B? Solve this in two ways: (a) by using length contraction, and (b) by using the rear-clock-ahead effect (among other things).
Relevant Equations:: $$t_{observed} = \gamma t_{proper}$$
$$L_{observed} = \frac{L_{proper}} {\gamma}$$
$$t_R - t_L = \frac{Lv}{c^2}$$
$$V = \frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}$$

a) So I think I solved a. "The length of B is such that A says that the fronts of the trains coincide with at exactly the same time as backs coincide." This tells us that in A's frame, B has the same length as A. So ##L_{observed}## in A's frame is simply ##L##. To obtain the proper length of B, you would then simply multiply ##L## by ##\gamma##. In B's frame, the length of A is contracted by ##\frac{3}{5}##. Now, to obtain the time difference, we subtract the length contraction of A from the proper length of B, and we divide that result by the speed of A. Doing so gives us ##\frac{4L}{3c}##.
`

I think you have calculated the wrong thing here. I think the question asks how long it takes the trains to completely pass each other: from when their fronts coincide until their rears coincide.

To do this using method b) you need to use coordinates and generally be more formulaic in your calculations.

PeroK said:
`

I think you have calculated the wrong thing here. I think the question asks how long it takes the trains to completely pass each other: from when their fronts coincide until their rears coincide.

To do this using method b) you need to use coordinates and generally be more formulaic in your calculations.
But they're facing the same direction.

Amrator said:
But they're facing the same direction.
Ah, yes. Sorry.

Likes Amrator
Amrator said:
b) We have to use the rear-clock-ahead effect which is ##t_R - t_L = \frac{Lv}{c^2}##. The rear-clock-ahead effect basically states that if a train with length ##L## moves with speed##v## relative to you, then you observe the rear clock reading ##\frac{Lv}{c^2}## more than the front clock, at any given instant. So we have to add it to some other time to obtain the time difference. The issue I don't know how to get that time. At the initial time, the front clock will read ##-\frac{Lv}{c^2}##.

The idea is this. The ends being adjacent are simulatenous events in frame A. If there are two synchronised (in frame B) clocks at either end of train B, then these are not synchronised in frame ##A##. But, they do show the time in frame B of the two events (fronts adjacent and rears adjacent).

The difference in frame B is, therefore, equal to the lack of synchronisation as measured in frame A.

You need to check the particular formula for the rear-clock-ahead. And be careful about what length to use.

It's also worth using the Lorentz Transformation to solve this problem.

PeroK said:
`

I apologize @PeroK, but could you elaborate for part b?

Amrator said:
I apologize @PeroK, but could you elaborate for part b?
I just beat you to it.

Likes Amrator
PeroK said:
The idea is this. The ends being adjacent are simulatenous events in frame A. If there are two synchronised (in frame B) clocks at either end of train B, then these are not synchronised in frame ##A##. But, they do show the time in frame B of the two events (fronts adjacent and rears adjacent).

The difference in frame B is, therefore, equal to the lack of synchronisation as measured in frame A.

You need to check the particular formula for the rear-clock-ahead. And be careful about what length to use.

Why is that?

Amrator said:
Why is that?
That's the relativity of simultaneity. If I were teaching SR I would teach that first so the students would never forget it!

PeroK said:

I don't know. I'm lost. I tried doing ##\frac{Lv}{c^2} + \frac{L}{\gamma^{2}v}## But that didn't give me the same answer as a...

Your answer to (a) looks good.

Amrator said:
b) We have to use the rear-clock-ahead effect which is ##t_R - t_L = \frac{Lv}{c^2}##. The rear-clock-ahead effect basically states that if a train with length ##L## moves with speed##v## relative to you, then you observe the rear clock reading ##\frac{Lv}{c^2}## more than the front clock, at any given instant.
Yes

So we have to add it to some other time to obtain the time difference.
Why do you say this? Doesn't ##\frac{Lv}{c^2}## (with the appropriate L) already give you the answer?

1. How do you calculate the time difference between two trains in an overtaking scenario?

To calculate the time difference between two trains in an overtaking scenario, you need to know the velocity of both trains, the distance between them, and the length of the trains. The formula for calculating time difference is:
Time difference = (Distance between trains + Length of slower train) / (Velocity of faster train - Velocity of slower train).

2. What is length contraction in the context of train overtaking?

Length contraction is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is moving at high speeds. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, when an object is moving at a high velocity, its length appears to be shorter to an observer who is stationary relative to the object. In the context of train overtaking, this means that the length of the train appears shorter to an observer on the platform compared to an observer on the moving train.

3. How does the velocity of the trains affect the time difference and length contraction in an overtaking scenario?

The velocity of the trains plays a crucial role in determining the time difference and length contraction in an overtaking scenario. The higher the velocity of the trains, the greater the time difference and length contraction will be. This is because as the velocity increases, so does the difference in the time it takes for the two trains to pass each other and the difference in their observed lengths.

4. Can time difference and length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time difference and length contraction can be observed in everyday life, but only at extremely high speeds. These phenomena are not noticeable in our daily experiences because the speeds at which they occur are much higher than what we encounter in our day-to-day activities. Only at speeds close to the speed of light, which is about 299,792,458 meters per second, do these effects become significant.

5. How does the distance between the trains affect the time difference and length contraction in an overtaking scenario?

The distance between the trains also plays a role in determining the time difference and length contraction in an overtaking scenario. The larger the distance between the trains, the greater the time difference and length contraction will be. This is because a larger distance means that the trains have more time and space to accelerate, leading to a larger difference in their velocities and the observed time difference and length contraction.