Confused about relativity and a train

In summary, two clocks synchronized by a light pulse in the "train frame" will display different times according to the ground frame. The rear clock starts first.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Two clocks are positioned at the ends of a train
of length L (as measured in its own frame). They are synchronized in the train frame.
The train travels past you at speed v. It turns out that if you observe the clocks at
simultaneous times in your frame, you will see the rear clock showing a higher reading
than the front clock (see Fig. 11.6). By how much?
Relevant Equations
\n
We can find the difference of time to light reach both clocks, it should be Lv/c², what i am confused is why the rear clock show a higher reading of the front clock.
Ok, the light take longer time to travel and reach the rear clock, and here is the thing!
What i am interpreting is: When the light reach the clock, it "starts to" run, to read the same hours as a clock localized on the source emissor of light.
So, for example: The light reach the front clock, so it start: 0s, 1s, 2s. And so the light reach the rear, and just now it starts: 0s...
That is, the front clock has a higher reading than the rear, but why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Say LED at the center of the train emit light pulses every second. There are counters at front and rear ends. The both counts increase simultaneously in the train FR. However, in the ground FR, light reaches earlier to the rear end because the rear end intercept the pulses. The front end escapes.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist
anuttarasammyak said:
Say LED at the center of the train emit light pulse every second. The pulses are counted at front and rear ends. The counts are simultaneous in the train FR. However light reaches earlier to the rear end because rear end encounter the pulses in the ground FR. This is the reason of higher reading.

They need to be simultaneous in our frame, no?. So it need to be
$$df+dr=L$$
$$\frac {df}{c-v}=\frac {dr}{c+v} (*)$$
$$df+df\frac{c+v}{c-v}=L$$
$$2cdf=L(c-v)$$
$$df=\frac{L(c-v)}{2c}$$ (Taking the result from RossMilikan, which was equal to my solution anyway...)

I put (*), it is this equation which implies simultaneous in our frame.
So in the train frame, the light will end taking more time to reach the rear end

This is confused

LCSphysicist said:
They need to be simultaneous in our frame, no?. So it need to be
$$df+dr=L$$
$$\frac {df}{c-v}=\frac {dr}{c+v} (*)$$
$$df+df\frac{c+v}{c-v}=L$$
$$2cdf=L(c-v)$$
$$df=\frac{L(c-v)}{2c}$$ (Taking the result from RossMilikan, which was equal to my solution anyway...)

I put (*), it is this equation which implies simultaneous in our frame.
So in the train frame, the light will end taking more time to reach the rear end

This is confused
It's elementary, surely, that light emitted from the centre of the train will:

a) Reach each end of the train at the same time in the train frame;

b) Reach the rear of the train first in the ground frame.

Likes LCSphysicist
You could also note that the clocks, when observed in the lab frame at time ##t##, will display times ##t' = \gamma(t-\frac{xv}{c^2})## which will differ by ##\Delta t' = -\frac{Lv}{c^2}## where ##L = \gamma \Delta x = \Delta x'##

Likes LCSphysicist
I believe i am confusing simultaneously in ground reference and synchronized in train frame. I will take more time to think bout it.

LCSphysicist said:
I believe i am confusing simultaneously in ground reference and synchronized in train frame. I will take more time to think bout it.
Okay, but if the light pulse is used to start the clocks running then:

a) They start at the same time in the train frame;

b) The rear clock starts first in the ground frame.

Therefore, "the leading clock lags".

LCSphysicist said:
Two clocks synchronized by a light pulse in the "train frame":
synch1.gif

The same clocks according to the ground frame,
synch2.gif

Trailing clock starts first.

P.S. Time dilation and Length contraction not accounted for in these animations.)

• Wow
Likes LCSphysicist, etotheipi and PeroK

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does relativity apply to a moving train?

In the theory of relativity, the concept of time dilation states that time moves slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This means that time on a moving train will appear to pass slower for an observer on the platform, compared to someone on the train.

3. Why is it difficult to understand relativity on a moving train?

The concept of relativity can be difficult to understand because it goes against our everyday experiences and intuition. Our brains are wired to think in terms of absolute space and time, but relativity shows that these concepts are relative and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in relativity?

The theory of relativity also includes the principle of the constancy of the speed of light. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This leads to other phenomena, such as length contraction and the equivalence of mass and energy.

5. How is the theory of relativity important in modern science?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It is the basis for many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, and has led to advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.