.Calculating Time for .22 Rifle Bullet to Stop in Soft Wood

In summary, the question is asking for the time required for a .22 rifle bullet to stop after striking a block of soft wood. The bullet has a mass of 1.80 g and is traveling at 350 m/s, penetrating the wood to a depth of 0.130 m. The wood is clamped and exerts a retarding force of 848 N on the bullet. Using the equation F=ma, we can find the net force on the bullet and then use the equation Vf=Vi+a*t to solve for time. The correct answer is twice the value obtained by dividing 0.130 m by 350 m/s.
theonerealazn
Ok, so here's my question:

A .22 rifle bullet, traveling at 350 m/s, strikes a block of soft wood, which it penetrates to a depth of 0.130 m. The block of wood is clamped in place and doesn't move. The mass of the bullet is 1.80 g. Assume a constant retarding force.

I know this has already been posted in another thread, but i have an additional question that i can't get.
1. How much time is required for the bullet to stop?
i tried 0.130m/350m/s and got .00037143 seconds as an answer. This was not correct. Any suggestions on what to do?

I already know that the wood exerts 848 N on the bullet

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma where F=net force on the bullet=848N and m=mass of the bullet=.0018kg. Find a

Vf=Vi+a*t
Vf, Vi and a are all known at this point. Solve for time.

Your answer is close. You are off by a factor of 2.

for 4.3ms, but how much time does it really take for the bullet to come to a stop?

I would first like to commend you for your efforts in attempting to calculate the time required for the bullet to stop in soft wood. It is important to note that this type of calculation can be quite complex, as there are several factors that can affect the outcome. However, I will provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

To calculate the time required for the bullet to stop, we need to consider the forces acting on the bullet. In this case, we have the initial velocity of the bullet (350 m/s) and the retarding force from the wood (848 N). Using the equation F=ma, we can calculate the acceleration of the bullet as a= F/m = 848 N/0.0018 kg = 471111.11 m/s^2.

Next, we can use the equation v=u+at to calculate the time (t) required for the bullet to stop, where u is the initial velocity (350 m/s) and v is the final velocity (0 m/s). Plugging in the values, we get:

0=350 m/s + 471111.11 m/s^2 * t

Solving for t, we get t= -0.000743 s. However, this answer may seem strange since time cannot be negative. This is because we have assumed a constant retarding force, but in reality, the force will decrease as the bullet penetrates deeper into the wood. Therefore, the bullet will not come to a complete stop in the calculated time, but it will continue to slow down until it reaches a final velocity of 0 m/s.

In conclusion, the time required for the bullet to stop in soft wood is dependent on several factors and cannot be accurately calculated without taking into account the changing retarding force. However, using the initial velocity and the retarding force, we can estimate the time required for the bullet to significantly slow down. I hope this helps in your understanding of this problem.

1. How long does it take for a .22 rifle bullet to stop in soft wood?

The exact time it takes for a .22 rifle bullet to stop in soft wood can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of wood, the velocity of the bullet, and the angle at which it hits the wood. However, on average, it takes approximately 1 millisecond for a .22 rifle bullet to stop in soft wood.

2. What factors affect the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood?

The main factors that affect the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood are the type of wood, the velocity of the bullet, and the angle at which it hits the wood. Harder types of wood will generally slow down the bullet faster, while softer types of wood may allow the bullet to travel further before stopping. Additionally, higher velocities and direct hits will result in faster stopping times.

3. Can the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood be calculated?

Yes, the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood can be calculated using the formula t = m*v/k, where t is the stopping time in seconds, m is the mass of the bullet in kilograms, v is the velocity of the bullet in meters per second, and k is the deceleration constant of the bullet in the specific type of wood (which can be found in tables or through experimentation).

4. How does the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood compare to other materials?

The stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood is relatively fast compared to other materials. For example, in ballistic gelatin, which is commonly used as a testing medium, a .22 rifle bullet may take around 2-3 milliseconds to stop. In comparison, a .22 rifle bullet may take around 10 milliseconds to stop in water and 100 milliseconds to stop in air.

5. Can the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood be decreased?

Yes, the stopping time of a .22 rifle bullet in soft wood can be decreased by using a bullet with a lower velocity or a softer type of wood. Additionally, increasing the angle at which the bullet hits the wood can also decrease the stopping time as it will allow the bullet to travel further before fully decelerating.