Calculating time required to pressurize compressed air tank

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for help in calculating the time it would take to pressurize a tank with a volume of 636 cubic feet from 0psig to 15psig using a compressed air source of 4.46cfm at 93psi. They are looking for the equation to make this calculation and mention the Ideal Gas Law as a possible solution.
chris.styles
Hello,

I searched as best I could but could not find a direct answer to my question; I've seen similar questions but without the required data to be able to make the calculation. I thought this would be a simple calculation to find but apparently not.

Compressed air source is 4.46cfm @ 93psi - assume this stays constant
Tank volume is 636 cubic feet
Initial tank pressure is 0psig
Final tank pressure is 15psig

I need to calculate the time required to pressurize this 636cf tank from 0psig to 15psig when the supply of compressed air is 4.46cfm @ 93psi.

If anyone could provide me with the equation to make this calculation, I would be grateful.
Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is the formula for calculating the time required to pressurize a compressed air tank?

The formula for calculating the time required to pressurize a compressed air tank is: time = (tank volume x desired pressure) / (air compressor flow rate x compressor efficiency).

What is the tank volume and how does it affect the time required to pressurize the tank?

The tank volume is the internal volume of the compressed air tank, typically measured in cubic feet or liters. The larger the tank volume, the longer it will take to pressurize the tank because more air needs to be compressed to reach the desired pressure.

What is the air compressor flow rate and how does it impact the time required to pressurize the tank?

The air compressor flow rate is the amount of air that the compressor can deliver, typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or liters per minute (LPM). The higher the flow rate, the faster the tank will be pressurized because more air is being delivered to the tank per unit of time.

What is compressor efficiency and why is it important in calculating the time required to pressurize the tank?

Compressor efficiency is a measure of how well the compressor can convert electrical energy into compressed air. A higher compressor efficiency means that less energy is wasted and more air is delivered to the tank, resulting in a shorter pressurization time.

Are there any other factors that can affect the time required to pressurize a compressed air tank?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the time required to pressurize a compressed air tank, such as the type and condition of the compressor, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and any leaks or restrictions in the air line. These factors should also be considered when calculating the pressurization time.