Calculating Torque for Rotating a Shaft with a 50,000kg Load at 4 RPM

• Thread starter ROHIT K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the torque required to rotate a shaft with a 50000 kg load at 4 rpm is 50000.9,8.0,240/2 N.m.
ROHIT K
dear sir ,
i am little bit confused regarding calculation of torque my question is
what is the torque required to to rotate shaft with 50000kg load with 4 rpm speed and shaft dia is 240mm.
please suggest me.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the axis is the pulley then the torque will be: 50000.9,8.0,240/2 N.m

Please pay attention to formatting of your posts - posting in all caps is considered shouting and rude.
felmon38 said:
If the axis is the pulley then the torque will be: 50000.9,8.0,240/2 N.m
I AM DRIVING WITH GEAR BOX AND SHAFT DIA AT THAT POINT IS 95 MM , SO WHICH ONE SHOULD I CHOOSE IS IT LOAD APPLICATION DIA OR GEAR BOX MOUNTING DIA?

You must use the load diameter. If you want to know the torque at the gear box input the power at the input and at the out one must be the same. That torque will be then Ti = To.μ, where μ is the transmission relation.

Rohit, could you give a little more detail about your problem? Is it a belt drive system or chain drive? If either of these, the torque would be your load times the radius of the pulley or sprocket. Not sure if the "shaft diameter" you mentioned was perhaps pulley or sprocket diameter, or that of the actual shaft. In a drive system, the actual shaft diameter wouldn't matter, only the diameter of the pulley, sprocket, or gear on it.

Likes Delta31415
Randy Beikmann said:
Rohit, could you give a little more detail about your problem? Is it a belt drive system or chain drive? If either of these, the torque would be your load times the radius of the pulley or sprocket. Not sure if the "shaft diameter" you mentioned was perhaps pulley or sprocket diameter, or that of the actual shaft. In a drive system, the actual shaft diameter wouldn't matter, only the diameter of the pulley, sprocket, or gear on it.
ITS ACTUAL DIAMETER OF SHAFT AND I AM DRIVING WITH GEAR BOX AND THAT GEAR BOX IS MOUNTED ON SHAFT DIAMETER OF 95 MM.
SO WHICH ONE SHOULD I PREFER AND HOW TO CALCULATE ?

felmon38 said:
You must use the load diameter. If you want to know the torque at the gear box input the power at the input and at the out one must be the same. That torque will be then Ti = To.μ, where μ is the transmission relation.

I DIDN'T GET WHAT IS THE μ . WILL U PLEASE TEL ME IN DETAIL

Rohit, if the system is turning at a constant speed, the diameter, mass, and length of the shaft don't matter - per Newton's first law, it takes no torque to rotate a body at a constant velocity.
What matters is the torque you are driving - the load. Now, you said the load was 50,000 kg, which is really 50,000*9.81 Newtons, as a force. But that's not torque. To get torque, you need to know the radius at which the load is driven. Then T=Fr, where F is the load and r is the radius. If there is a gear box in between, you'd also have to multiply by the reduction ratio.
If this doesn't fit your actual problem well enough, you'll need to be more descriptive of it. Are you using the shaft to drive a cable that lifts a weight with a mass of 50,000 kg? I would think it through a little more based on this answer, and then state the problem very clearly. And then you'll probably solve it yourself!

Related to Calculating Torque for Rotating a Shaft with a 50,000kg Load at 4 RPM

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system and pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: τ = F x d, where τ is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a twisting or turning force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In other words, torque is a type of force that causes rotation.

4. How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force applied to an object affects the direction of the resulting torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the torque will be maximum. However, if the force is applied parallel to the axis of rotation, there will be no torque generated.

5. What are some common applications of torque calculations?

Torque calculations are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some common applications include calculating the torque required for a motor to lift a certain weight, determining the torque needed to tighten a bolt to a specific tightness, and calculating the torque required for a vehicle to accelerate or turn. Torque calculations are also important in designing and building machines and structures that require rotational motion.