Calculating Total Weight of 10 Oscillators & 8 Quanta of Energy

In summary, the problem concerns 10 oscillators and 8 quanta of energy, and determining the dominant configuration and its corresponding weight. The book gives a probability of 0.25 for the most probable state, but provides no explanation for how it was calculated. There is a limitation on the available energy levels for the oscillators, and the sum of all weights should be around 20,170. The book does not specify if the oscillators are harmonic. Some checks were performed and the results were mostly correct, except for a few values that may be incorrect. Further clarification and assistance is needed to determine the correct probability.
SidMe1984
1. The problem statement

Consider the case of 10 oscillators and eight quanta of energy. Determine the dominant configuration of energy for this system by identifying energy configurations and calculating the corresponding weights. What is the probability of observing the dominant configuration?

Attempt at the solution:

IMG_20180916_203828533.jpg
IMG_20180916_203844892.jpg
To add to the information on the problem, I picked it from Engel and Reed (Thermodynamics, Statistical thermodynamics,...) Chapter 13.

I checked the answer to the problem in the book, it says that the probability for the most probable state is 0.25 but the book gives no details of the working.

What I found was that the desired probability is less than 0.25. Clearly then there is some limitation imposed on the energy levels available to the oscillators. I simply cannot guess this particular limitation.

If I should be getting a probability of 0.25 for the most probable configuration, I must have the sum total of all the weights equal to about 20,170 ... I am unable to come to this count and I need help with this part of the problem.Can you please guide me with it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_203828533.jpg
    IMG_20180916_203828533.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,191
  • IMG_20180916_203844892.jpg
    IMG_20180916_203844892.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,159
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first picture is rotated.

Did the book specify harmonic oscillators? Assuming yes:

Some checks:
There are 22 partitions of 8, so you should have 22 cases - good.
Checked several multiplicities and they are right as well, including the 5040.
Either the book answered a different question or 1/4 is wrong.

upload_2018-9-20_23-12-51.png

Check the 1620 value. Shouldn't that be 1260? This will reduce your total number of states to 24310, which agrees with another way of calculating the total number as 17!/(9! 8!)

Unfortunately, this still doesn't yield 0.25 for the probability of getting the 5040-configuration.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-20_23-12-51.png
    upload_2018-9-20_23-12-51.png
    19 KB · Views: 970
Likes mfb

1. How do you calculate the total weight of 10 oscillators and 8 quanta of energy?

The total weight can be calculated by adding the weight of each oscillator and the weight of each quantum of energy. The weight of an oscillator can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity, while the weight of a quantum of energy can be calculated by multiplying its frequency by Planck's constant.

2. What is the relationship between oscillators and quanta of energy?

Oscillators and quanta of energy are closely related as oscillators are responsible for the emission and absorption of quanta of energy. In other words, oscillators are the source of energy in the form of quanta.

3. Can the weight of an oscillator or quantum of energy change?

Yes, the weight of an oscillator or quantum of energy can change if their mass or frequency changes. The weight of an oscillator can also change depending on the strength of the gravitational field it is in.

4. What is the significance of calculating the total weight of oscillators and quanta of energy?

Calculating the total weight of oscillators and quanta of energy allows us to understand the overall mass and energy present in a system. This information is crucial in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, as it helps us determine the behavior and properties of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the total weight of oscillators and quanta of energy?

Yes, there can be limitations to calculating the total weight of oscillators and quanta of energy, as it relies on certain assumptions and simplifications. For example, the calculations assume that all oscillators and quanta are in a perfect vacuum and do not take into account other factors such as air resistance or external forces. Additionally, uncertainties in measurements and calculations can also affect the accuracy of the total weight.