Energy fluctuations in canonical ensemble

In summary: The Boltzmann factor is a measure of how much energy is associated with a particular degree of freedom.
lampCable

Homework Statement

Consider an ensamble of particles that can be only in two states with the difference ##\delta## in energy, and take the ground state energy to be zero. Is it possible to find the particle in the excited state if ##k_BT=\delta/2##, i.e. if the thermal energy is lower than the gap between the energy levels? If so, explain why.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We calculate the partition function which becomes ##Z = 1+e^{-\delta/k_BT} = 1+e^{-2}## and so the probability for finding a particle in the excited state is ##P(excited) = \frac{e^{-\delta/k_BT}}{Z} = \frac{e^{-2}}{1+e^{-2}} \approx 0.12##. So we can therefore expect to find particles in the excited state.

Since the thermal energy ##k_BT## is too small to put particles in the excited state there must be something else going on. The solution to the problem says that it is due to energy fluctuations for a system in thermal contact with a reservoir of constant temperature. Now, it is possible to show that the fluctuations in the energy in the canonical ensamble is $$\frac{\Delta E}{E} \propto \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}},$$ where ##E## is the energy, ##\Delta E## is the standard deviation in ##E## and ##N## is the number of particles. But in the thermodynamic limit, i.e. when the number of particles is so big that the fluctuations are in principle zero, how can this be the reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
lampCable said:
Now, it is possible to show that the fluctuations in the energy in the canonical ensamble is $$\frac{\Delta E}{E} \propto \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}},$$ where ##E## is the energy, ##\Delta E## is the standard deviation in ##E## and ##N## is the number of particles. But in the thermodynamic limit, i.e. when the number of particles is so big that the fluctuations are in principle zero, how can this be the reason?
That is the fluctuation in the total energy of the system of N particles. The fluctuation in the energy of a single particle in that system doesn't depend on the number of particles and is exactly what is given by the Boltzmann distribution.

Okay, I think I understand. So when we talk about fluctuations in energy of a single particle in the system, we essentially talk about fluctuations in speed of that particle?

lampCable said:
Okay, I think I understand. So when we talk about fluctuations in energy of a single particle in the system, we essentially talk about fluctuations in speed of that particle?
Only for a free particle without any internal structure. Otherwise, energy is distributed among all degrees of freedom.

I see. But the Boltzmann distribution is only related to the translational degrees of freedom, so if we talk about fluctuations in say rotational energy then how is that described?

lampCable said:
I see. But the Boltzmann distribution is only related to the translational degrees of freedom, so if we talk about fluctuations in say rotational energy then how is that described?
I'm not talking about the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of speed, but the Boltzmann factor used to calculate the probability in the canonical ensemble.

1. What is the canonical ensemble?

The canonical ensemble is a statistical mechanical model used to describe the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium with a heat reservoir at a fixed temperature. It is commonly used to analyze systems with a fixed number of particles, volume, and temperature.

2. What are energy fluctuations in the canonical ensemble?

Energy fluctuations in the canonical ensemble refer to the random changes in the energy of a system due to thermal fluctuations. These fluctuations occur because the system is in contact with a heat reservoir, which causes the particles to exchange energy with the surroundings.

3. How are energy fluctuations calculated in the canonical ensemble?

Energy fluctuations in the canonical ensemble can be calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which relates the probability of a particle having a certain energy to the total energy of the system. The variance in energy can then be calculated using the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

4. What is the significance of energy fluctuations in the canonical ensemble?

Energy fluctuations in the canonical ensemble are important because they provide information about the thermodynamic properties of a system. By analyzing the fluctuations, we can determine the heat capacity, entropy, and other thermodynamic quantities of the system.

5. How do energy fluctuations affect the stability of a system in the canonical ensemble?

In the canonical ensemble, energy fluctuations can lead to changes in the state of the system. However, the fluctuations are typically small and do not significantly affect the stability of the system. In fact, energy fluctuations are necessary for the system to reach thermal equilibrium with the heat reservoir.