Calculating Travel Time Difference in Optical Fiber | Refraction Homework"

In summary, the figure shows an optical fiber with a central plastic core of index of refraction n1 = 1.58 and a plastic sheath of index of refraction n2 = 1.51. Light can travel along different paths within the central core, causing an initially short pulse of light to spread and result in information loss. The question asks for the difference in travel times between light traveling directly along the central axis and light being repeatedly reflected at the critical angle along the core-sheath interface. By finding the ratio of the red path to the dashed-line path in the figure, the answer can be determined.
lvjudge

Homework Statement

The figure below shows an optical fiber in which a central plastic core of index of refraction n1 = 1.58 is surrounded by a plastic sheath of index of refraction n2 = 1.51. Light can travel along different paths within the central core, leading to different travel times through the fiber. This causes an initially short pulse of light to spread as it travels along the fiber, resulting in information loss. Consider light that travels directly along the central axis of the fiber and light that is repeatedly reflected at the critical angle along the core-sheath interface, reflecting from side to side as it travels down the central core. If the fiber length is 275 m, what is the difference in the travel times along these two routes?

Homework Equations

v=c/n

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my initial failed attempt at a solution
v1=c/n1=189742062
v2=c/n2=198538051.7

The time it takes light traveling at v1 to go 275m:
t1=275/v1=1.449335994E-6 s
The time it takes light traveling at v2 to go 275m:
t2=275/v2=1.385124905E-6 s

delta t=t1-t2=6.421109383E-8=64.21109383 ns
However, this answer was marked incorrect, so i would like so help figuring out how to solve the problem correctly

Attachments

• figure.gif
    figure.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Both paths are in the central fiber of n1=1.58, and thus have the same speed.

Read the question again. Just what is different about the 2 paths?

Ok, now I see. The first path is just straight through the center. but the second path is reflected off the side of the wire at the critical angle.
I found the critical angle using theta=arcsin(n2/n1)=1.272015952 rad
Now that I've got this information, I really can't figure out where to go or which equation to use. It looks like the variable I need to find is path length for the second path. There's an equation in my textbook from Young's Interference Experiment that states delta L=d sin theta. Is this the one that I should be using?

lvjudge said:
There's an equation in my textbook from Young's Interference Experiment that states delta L=d sin theta. Is this the one that I should be using?

No, this isn't really an interference or diffraction problem.

It's more of a geometry problem. In the figure you gave, find the ratio of the red path to the dashed-line path.

What is optical fiber and how does it work?

Optical fiber is a type of medium used for transmitting information in the form of light. It is made up of a thin, flexible strand of glass or plastic, which is surrounded by a cladding material to prevent light from escaping. Light is transmitted through the fiber by bouncing off the walls of the strand through a process called total internal reflection. This allows for fast and efficient transmission of data over long distances.

What is travel time difference and why is it important in optical fiber?

Travel time difference refers to the difference in time it takes for a signal to travel through an optical fiber compared to other mediums. This time difference can impact the accuracy and speed of data transmission, making it an important factor to consider in optical fiber communication systems. By accurately calculating the travel time difference, engineers can optimize the performance of the system and ensure reliable data transmission.

How is travel time difference in optical fiber calculated?

The travel time difference in optical fiber can be calculated using the formula: Δt = (n2 - n1) x L / c, where Δt is the time difference, n2 and n1 are the refractive indices of the core and cladding materials, L is the length of the fiber, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the refractive index and length of the fiber, as well as the speed of light, to accurately determine the travel time difference.

What is refraction and how does it affect travel time difference in optical fiber?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials. In optical fiber, light travels through the core material with a higher refractive index, and then into the cladding material with a lower refractive index. This change in refractive index causes the light to bend, which can affect the travel time difference. By understanding and accounting for refraction, engineers can accurately calculate the travel time difference in optical fiber.

How is travel time difference in optical fiber used in real-world applications?

The precise calculation of travel time difference in optical fiber is crucial in numerous real-world applications, such as telecommunications, internet connectivity, and medical imaging. In these industries, data needs to be transmitted quickly and accurately over long distances, and the use of optical fiber with its low travel time difference makes it an ideal choice. Accurate calculation and optimization of travel time difference allows for faster and more reliable data transmission, making optical fiber an essential technology in today's world.