Calculating Uncertainty for a Chain of Trig Functions

In summary, Ryan calculated the theoretical intensity, I, for a series of 12 values using the formula I0 + θ*λ*d, where θ, λ, and d are the variables' uncertainties. He found an I value of 0.043 and calculated the uncertainties for each variable.
Ryan Hardt

Homework Statement

I have a series of 12 values that I need to calculate the Theoretical Intensity, I, using the formula below.

I have found values for all variables and their uncertainties, and have calculated the I value for each set using the formula. Now I need to calculate the uncertainty.

Example Values:
I0 = 1.80 ± 0.01
θ = 0.17 ± 0.02 rad
λ = 0.0371 ± 0.0026 m
d = 0.072 ± 0.001 m

And I arrived at an I value of 0.043.

Homework Equations

I = I0cos2((π/λ)d*sin(θ))

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the basic formulas for calculating uncertainties of addition, multiplication, and power functions in quadrature. I don't fully understand how to calculate uncertainty or trig functions, but I assume you just take the function of the value and uncertainty inside quadrature? As for a chain of multiple functions (let alone trigonometric) I am stuck, and I could not find documentation on it easily.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly useful:
http://physics.appstate.edu/undergraduate-programs/laboratory/resources/error-propagation

Hi Ryan, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The usual approach for propagating uncertainties when dealing with a general function of multiple variables is to use a bit of calculus to determine the individual contributions of the uncertainties and adding them in quadrature. The calculus here involves partial derivatives of the overall function with respect to each of the variables that have an uncertainty. If you know the necessary calculus then that would be how to proceed.

For example, suppose you have some function of three variables f(x,y,z), where each of x, y, and z has some associated uncertainty Δx, Δy, Δz. Then the propagated uncertainty Δf would be given by:

$$Δf = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right)^2 Δx^2 + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right)^2 Δy^2 + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \right)^2 Δz^2} $$

I actually saw that page while I was searching for documentation and must have missed over the general rules to use derivations. Thank you @robphy.

And thank you @gneill, I do have the background and will take said derivatives. I will post a reply again once I am able to work it out tomorrow, and I hope I can get some check that I have done it right or am on the right track.

1. What is the purpose of calculating uncertainty for a chain of trig functions?

The purpose of calculating uncertainty for a chain of trig functions is to determine the level of accuracy and reliability of the final result. This is important for scientific experiments and calculations, as it allows us to understand the potential errors and limitations in our data.

2. How is uncertainty calculated for a chain of trig functions?

Uncertainty for a chain of trig functions is calculated using the propagation of uncertainty method, which takes into account the uncertainties in each individual function and combines them to estimate the overall uncertainty in the final result. This involves taking partial derivatives and multiplying them by the respective uncertainties.

3. What factors can contribute to uncertainty in a chain of trig functions?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in a chain of trig functions, including measurement errors, limitations in equipment, and approximation errors. Additionally, the use of different mathematical models or assumptions can also introduce uncertainty in the final result.

4. How can I reduce uncertainty in my calculations for a chain of trig functions?

There are a few ways to reduce uncertainty in calculations for a chain of trig functions. One way is to improve the precision and accuracy of measurements by using more precise equipment or techniques. Another way is to use multiple methods or approaches to calculate the same result and compare the uncertainties to determine the most accurate one.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating uncertainty for a chain of trig functions?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating uncertainty for a chain of trig functions. One limitation is that it assumes all sources of uncertainty are independent, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the propagation of uncertainty method is not suitable for all types of functions and may not provide accurate results in certain cases.