Question about Intensity in an Interference Pattern

In summary, there is a problem with the given wavelength, which is calculated to be 2.7*10^-7m. The correct wavelength should be 5.4*10^-7m based on the given information.
Haramura

Homework Statement

Two slits spaced d 0.0720 mm apart are 0.800 m from a screen. Coherent light of wavelength λ passes through the two slits. In their interference pattern on the screen, the distance from the center of the central maximum to the first minimum is 3.00 mm. The intensity at the peak of the central maximum is 0.0500 W/m^2.

What is the intensity at point on the screen that is 1.50 mm from the center of the central maximum?

PS: wavelength calculated: 2.7 *10^-7

Homework Equations

Δ=Dλ/
=0 (cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
sin θ ≈ y/D

The Attempt at a Solution

Δ=Dλ/
3 *10^-3 = 0.8 * λ / 0.072*10^-3
λ = 2.7 *10 ^-7m
this one should be correct coz my attempt in part a (which is a similar question but just change to 2mm from 1.5mm )is correct.
sin θ ≈ y/D = 1.875*10^-3 (sin θ=0.1074)
(cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
= cos^2(π* 0.072*10^-3 * 1.875*10^-3/2.7 *10 ^-7)
= 0^2
I=0
in part (a) I used degree but it's wrong, then I used radian and got the correct ans. but now I'm wrong again.
even I use actual no. of sin θ=0.1074, I still don't get the correct ans.

besides using maths calc, as I remember destructive interference happens in the middle of two bright regions, but now I'm unsure about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haramura said:
I don't understand your notation. What is that leading zero?

haruspex said:
I don't understand your notation. What is that leading zero?
that should be I = I0 (cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
and
Δy =Dλ/ d
sorry for not preview first

Haramura said:
that should be I = I0 (cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
and
Δy =Dλ/ d
sorry for not preview first
Ok.
I strongly recommend never plugging in the numbers until the final step. Keep everything symbolic until then. It has many benefits.
For such small angles, you can approximate sin(θ) as θ.
If the first minimum is at 3mm, and that corresponds to angle θ, what angle does 1.5mm correspond to?
For θ to be the first minimum, what must the value of d sin(θ)/λ be?

haruspex said:
Ok.
I strongly recommend never plugging in the numbers until the final step. Keep everything symbolic until then. It has many benefits.
For such small angles, you can approximate sin(θ) as θ.
If the first minimum is at 3mm, and that corresponds to angle θ, what angle does 1.5mm correspond to?
For θ to be the first minimum, what must the value of d sin(θ)/λ be?

I try to keep it, but every time I get cos (πd/λ) * sin θ = π/2 and the final result is still 0.
To me, sin θ means to be 1.5mm/ 0.8m.
I used 3mm as Δy in Δy=Dλ/ d, I no longer use it in I = I0 (cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
or should I use 3mm instead of 1.5mm?

Haramura said:
I try to keep it, but every time I get cos (πd/λ) * sin θ = π/2 and the final result is still 0.
To me, sin θ means to be 1.5mm/ 0.8m.
I used 3mm as Δy in Δy=Dλ/ d, I no longer use it in I = I0 (cos (πd/λ) * sin θ )^2
or should I use 3mm instead of 1.5mm?
Some confusion re θ. I was defining θ as the angle to the first minimum, so that would be 3mm/0.8m.
For that, yes, (πd/λ) * sin θ = π/2.
If θ is the angle to 3mm, what is the angle to 1.5mm?

I believe the wavelength may be wrong, I got 5.4*10^-7.

1. What is intensity in an interference pattern?

Intensity in an interference pattern refers to the brightness or darkness of the fringes formed when two or more waves interfere with each other. It is a measure of the energy per unit area of the pattern and is directly related to the amplitude of the waves.

2. How is intensity related to the amplitude of waves in an interference pattern?

Intensity is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the waves. This means that as the amplitude of the waves increases, the intensity of the interference pattern also increases.

3. What factors can affect the intensity of an interference pattern?

The intensity of an interference pattern can be affected by several factors including the amplitude and wavelength of the waves, the distance between the sources, and the medium through which the waves are traveling. Other factors such as external light sources or obstructions can also impact the intensity.

4. How can the intensity of an interference pattern be measured?

The intensity of an interference pattern can be measured using a photodetector, which converts light into an electrical signal. This signal can then be used to calculate the intensity of the pattern at different points. Other methods such as using a spectrometer or a camera can also be used to measure intensity.

5. How does the intensity in an interference pattern change when waves of different frequencies are used?

The intensity in an interference pattern is directly related to the frequency of the waves. As the frequency of the waves increases, the intensity also increases. This is because higher frequency waves have a shorter wavelength, which leads to more intense interference patterns.