Calculating vector cross product through unit vectors

In summary, The cross product of two vectors ##\vec{U}## and ##\vec{B}## with magnitude in all three spatial coordinates is given by the formula ##\vec{U}\times \vec{B}=(U_{x}\cdot \widehat{i}+U_{y}\cdot \widehat{j}+U_{z}\cdot \widehat{k})\times(B_{x}\cdot \widehat{i}+B_{y}\cdot \widehat{j}+B_{z}\cdot \widehat{k})##. The cross products of the unit vectors ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## are equal to ##\hat{k}## and the determinant
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Derive the formula for calculating: ##\vec{U}\times \vec{B}##
Relevant Equations
none
Writing both ##\vec{U}## and ##\vec{B}## with magnitude in all the three spatial coordinates:
$$
\vec{U}\times \vec{B}=
(U_{x}\cdot \widehat{i}+U_{y}\cdot \widehat{j}+U_{z}\cdot \widehat{k})\times
(B_{x}\cdot \widehat{i}+B_{y}\cdot \widehat{j}+B_{z}\cdot \widehat{k})$$
From this point on, I cannot understand the calculations needed to obtain the final formula:
$$
\vec{U}\times \vec{B}=
\widehat{i}(U_{y}B_{z}-U_{z}B_{y})... $$

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the cross products of the unit vectors?

Have you seen the determinant form of the cross product? I almost always use that.

You have to use the distributive property (i.e ##\vec{a}\times(\vec{b}+\vec{c})=\vec{a}\times \vec{b}+\vec{a}\times\vec{c}) ## and also the following basic equations which follow from the definition of the cross product and its application on the unit vectors of a cartesian coordinate system:$$\hat i\times\hat j=\hat k,\hat j\times \hat k=\hat i, \hat k \times \hat i=\hat j$$ and also use the anticommutative property e.g ##\hat{j}\times\hat{i}=-(\hat i \times \hat j)=-\hat k##
Also the property $$\lambda \vec{i}\times\mu \vec{j}=\lambda\mu (\vec{i}\times\vec{j})$$.

Likes greg_rack
PeroK said:
What are the cross products of the unit vectors?
##\hat{i}\times \hat{j}=\hat{k}##

PeroK said:
Have you seen the determinant form of the cross product? I almost always use that.
Unfortunately not... I know that's what everybody use, but we shouldn't

greg_rack said:
##\hat{i}\times \hat{j}=\hat{k}##
You use that plus the other rules that @Delta2 posted above.

Likes greg_rack and Delta2
Got it guys, thank you! @Delta2 @PeroK
Through the determinant it's way faster and easier, deriving it in this way is a pain

Likes Delta2

1. What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and moments in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate a vector cross product?

To calculate a vector cross product, you first need to find the unit vectors of the two input vectors. Then, you can use the formula A x B = |A||B|sin(theta)n, where |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of the input vectors, theta is the angle between them, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both A and B. This will give you the resulting vector in the direction of n.

3. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that point in a specific direction. They are often denoted with a hat symbol, such as ^i, ^j, and ^k for the x, y, and z directions, respectively. These unit vectors are used in vector operations, such as calculating a cross product.

4. Why is the vector cross product important?

The vector cross product is important because it allows us to calculate the direction and magnitude of a resulting force or moment when two vectors are acting on an object in three-dimensional space. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can you use the vector cross product with non-unit vectors?

Yes, you can use the vector cross product with non-unit vectors. However, the resulting vector will not be in the direction of a unit vector and will need to be normalized to find its direction. This can be done by dividing the resulting vector by its magnitude.