Calculating velocity from the position versus time graph

In summary: but not exactly around... l, and the function still behaves like a function (i.e. preserves properties like slope and derivatives) then f is continuous at l.
fmiren
Homework Statement
a) Identify
the time or times ( ta , tb , tc , etc.) at which the instantaneous velocity is greatest. (b) At which times is it zero? (c) At which
times is it negative?
Relevant Equations
instantaneous velocity
1589911176630.png
My answers: a) At points d the instantaneous velocity should be greatest since slope of c-d is greatest I think
b) At point e and g instantaneous velocity is 0
c) at points b, c, and f instantaneous velocity is negative.

Could you please verify my answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure those are the answers you want to give ? For starters, the question clearly indicates that "point x" be written as "tx".

Yes, I'm afraid. The only correction that I can make is to a) part: at tl instantaneous velocity should also be 0.
Where I'm wrong?

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but I'd say ##t=t_c## corresponds to a local minimum of position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Yes, I think at tc it is also 0.

So my answers:
a) td
b) tc, te, tg, tl
c) tb, tf

Is it correct now?

Likes Delta2
fmiren said:
So my answers:
a) td
b) tc, te, tg, tl
c) tb, tf

Is it correct now?
I do not agree with the stated result for c).

Likes etotheipi
I'm wondering why - in b) - you include ##t_l## and not ##t_a## (not saying it's wrong or right, just wanting some justification)

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444
hmmm27 said:
I'm wondering why - in b) - you include ##t_l## and not ##t_a## (not saying it's wrong or right, just wanting some justification)
To be honest, I didn't pay enough attention to it. Now looking at again, I think, yes, ta should be included.
But I don't understand why the answer for c) is wrong. Any hint please?

fmiren said:
But I don't understand why the answer for c) is wrong. Any hint please?
What is the slope at a? What is the slope at c?

At ta it is negative, at tc it is zero.

fmiren said:
At ta it is negative, at tc it is zero.
So why do you not list a as a point where the velocity is negative?

Yes, in one of comments above I included it.
a) td
b) tc, te, tg, tl
c) ta, tb, tf

Is it ok now?

fmiren said:
You sure about that ?

Is it ok now?

Not to get ahead of the game too much, but ##t_a## and ##t_l## are discontinuities. Depending on what course the problem is a part of, or what lesson is being taught, they may want you to treat them as special cases.

Likes etotheipi
fmiren said:
a) td
b) tc, te, tg, tl
c) ta, tb, tf

Is it ok now?
Looks good to me.

hmmm27 said:
You sure about that ?
Not to get ahead of the game too much, but ##t_a## and ##t_l## are discontinuities. Depending on what course the problem is a part of, or what lesson is being taught, they may want you to treat them as special cases.

It is from a open textbook "College Physics" - https://openstax.org/details/books/college-physics

I don't remember any mention of special cases in the text. Could you please explain what they are?

fmiren said:
I don't remember any mention of special cases in the text. Could you please explain what they are?

If the function is discontinuous at that point, it's also not differentiable at that point.

Likes Delta2 and hmmm27
etotheipi said:
If the function is discontinuous at that point, it's also not differentiable at that point.

Thank you. How does it apply to this problem? Is the function discontinuous at c, e, g, and l points? And what it implies?

fmiren said:
Thank you. How does it apply to this problem? Is the function discontinuous at c, e, g, and l points? And what it implies?

You're welcome. It would apply if the course was Introduction to Calculus : my apologies for introducing irrelevancies. The definition of "discontinuity" in context is the same as in common language discourse. @etotheipi answered that one in post #16.

Likes etotheipi
fmiren said:
This has to do with picky little details about the definition of continuity. It has little to do with the problem posed in your original post.

Specifically, we are getting at the question of whether a function is continuous at its endpoints.

Intuitively, for a function to be continuous at a point, the graph of that function must not have a break at that point -- you should be able to draw the graph without lifting your pencil from the paper. You are also not allowed to have any perfectly vertical lines on the graph, but that's part of what it means to have a function in the first place.

When you get into a math course where continuity is more carefully defined you find a definition along the lines of:

A function f() is continuous at a point l iff

1. l is in the domain of f
2. for all epsilon > 0 there is a delta > 0 such that for all x in the domain of f such that | x - l | < delta, | f(x) - f(l) | < epsilon

Paraphrased, that says if you look in a neighborhood that is close to l, function values in that neighborhood will be close to f(l). No matter how close you need the function values to be, you can always find a neighborhood that is small enough to be sure that the function values in that neighborhood will all be that close.

The point here is that it does not matter for the purposes of continuity whether you are at the edge of the function's domain or not. x values that do not fall within the function's domain do not count against continuity.

Wiki points this out:

"It follows from this definition that a function f is automatically continuous at every isolated point of its domain. As a specific example, every real valued function on the set of integers is continuous."

Likes fmiren
etotheipi said:
The function here is continuous throughout its domain. So this fact, while correct, is irrelevant.

What is relevant is the definition of a derivative.

"Let f be a real valued function defined in an open neighborhood of a real number a..."

At the endpoints of an interval you are not going to satisfy such a definition.

Whether one uses this fact to make a claim that "velocity" is undefined at the endpoints of the given function is a matter of taste. Personally, I am happy to accept the existence of a velocity based on a one-sided derivative at the endpoints even though the two-sided derivative is formally undefined.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
Personally, I am happy to accept the existence of a velocity based on a one-sided derivative at the endpoints even though the two-sided derivative is formally undefined.

Yes, but you've been at it for decades ; the OP for hours, at most, and - as it turns out - it's not near-immediate to the course of study.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How do you calculate velocity from a position versus time graph?

To calculate velocity from a position versus time graph, you need to find the slope of the line on the graph. The slope represents the rate of change of position over time, which is the definition of velocity. You can find the slope by dividing the change in position (y-axis) by the change in time (x-axis) between two points on the line.

2. What units are used to measure velocity on a position versus time graph?

The units used to measure velocity on a position versus time graph are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The units will depend on the scale of the graph and the units used for the position and time axes.

3. Can velocity be negative on a position versus time graph?

Yes, velocity can be negative on a position versus time graph. This indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction (opposite to the positive direction shown on the graph). The magnitude of the velocity is still determined by the slope of the line, but the negative sign indicates the direction of the motion.

4. How does the shape of a position versus time graph affect the velocity calculation?

The shape of a position versus time graph can affect the velocity calculation by changing the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower velocity. If the line on the graph is curved, you can still find the slope at a specific point by drawing a tangent line and finding its slope.

5. Can you determine the acceleration from a position versus time graph?

Yes, you can determine the acceleration from a position versus time graph by finding the slope of the velocity versus time graph. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, so the slope of the velocity graph will represent the acceleration. The units for acceleration are distance over time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s^2).