Calculating velocity given mass, force, kinetic friction & angle (crate diagram)

In summary, the crate moves at a speed of 17.8 meters per second after being pulled by a 350-newton force for 3 seconds.
kachi

Homework Statement

The 40 kg crate shown in the Figure below rests on a horizontal plane for which the coefficient of kinetic friction is mk = 0.3. If the crate is subjected to a 350 N towing force as shown, determine the speed of the crate 3 seconds after starting from rest. + given angle of 30 degrees

http://i.share.pho.to/49e78c92_o.png

Homework Equations

F=ma
where F is force (N)
m is mass (kg)
a is acceleration (m/s^2)

v=a/t
v is the final velocity
a is the (average) acceleration
t is the time the body accelerates (sec)

combing them gives:

v(final) = Ft/m

The Attempt at a Solution

v(final) = 350N(3sec)/(40kg)
= 26.25m/s?

but it is wrong, the answer is v = 17.8m/s[/B]

Notes:
I don't know how they got an answer of 17.8m/s...I didn't use the kinetic friction value (0.3) and angle given (30 degrees)...

2. Also when questions say 'speed', do they mean that you should find 'velocity'? In this case are they similar? Even though velocity is just speed with a direction?

3. What goes through your mind before solving these types of problems? Are there steps? I.e. step 1. identify what is given , step 2. identify what is missing

I'm not really strong with the area of physics, especially statics and dynamics, so a simple explanation with all the steps would be great

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you divide acceleration by a time interval, what does that give you?
Hint: what are the units of position, velocity, and acceleration? What are the units of a/t?

Also, F does not equal ma.

##\Sigma \vec{F} = m\vec{a}##
You didn't do the summation part of it. Draw a free body diagram if you need to see the forces acting on the box.

1. How do I calculate velocity given mass, force, kinetic friction, and angle?

To calculate velocity in this scenario, you can use the formula v = √(2*μ*k*cosθ*m*g/m). Where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, k is the force applied, θ is the angle, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the role of mass in calculating velocity?

Mass plays a crucial role in calculating velocity as it is a measure of an object's resistance to change in motion. A higher mass will require more force to accelerate and thus, affect the velocity.

3. How does kinetic friction impact velocity?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. It reduces the velocity of an object by converting kinetic energy into heat energy. This means that the higher the kinetic friction, the lower the velocity.

4. What does the angle in the formula represent?

The angle in the formula represents the angle between the applied force and the horizontal surface. It affects the amount of force that is parallel to the surface and, therefore, influences the velocity calculation.

5. Can velocity be negative in this scenario?

Yes, velocity can be negative in this scenario. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. This can happen if the force applied is not enough to overcome the kinetic friction and the object moves in the opposite direction.