Calculating volume between two paraboloids

• Thread starter Physgeek64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume and surface area of a region enclosed by two surfaces, and using a linear transformation to calculate the volume of a different region enclosed by two paraboloids. The first part of the problem is solved but the speaker is struggling with parameterization for the second part. They suggest a possible solution but state it does not work and ask for assistance.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

A volume is enclosed by the plane z = 0 and the inverted paraboloid, z = 6 − r2 (expressed in cylindrical coordinates). Find the volume and its surface area.

Hence, using a suitable linear transformation, find the volume of the region enclosed between the surfaces z = ax^2 +by^2 and z = 6−cx^2 −dy^2 where a, b, c and d are positive constants

Homework Equations

below

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've managed to do the first part (Photo of my working will be below), but am now struggling to calculate the volume between the two paraboloids. I thought of one possible parameterisation in which u^2=b/a x^2 and v^2=d/c x^2 so that I transform the two elliptical paraboloids into regular ones, but this would mean I have a 4-dimentional coordinate system, which is obviously not correct. Its mainly the parameterisation I'm struggling with

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My working- Part 2

Attachments

• Photo on 07-04-2016 at 08.18.jpg
    Photo on 07-04-2016 at 08.18.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 458
My working- Part 1

Attachments

• Photo on 07-04-2016 at 08.17.jpg
    Photo on 07-04-2016 at 08.17.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 464
I was thinking- maybe I could subtract them and let u=sqrt(a+c)x, v= sqrt(b+d) y ? I couldn't make it work- but is that along the right lines? Many thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume between two paraboloids?

The formula for calculating the volume between two paraboloids is given by V = (∫∫∫ (f(x,y) - g(x,y)) dV), where f(x,y) and g(x,y) are the equations of the two paraboloids and dV represents the volume element.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration when calculating the volume between two paraboloids?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the two paraboloids. These points will serve as the boundaries for the integration in the x and y directions.

3. Can you use the disc or shell method to calculate the volume between two paraboloids?

No, the disc and shell methods are used for calculating the volume of revolution solids, not for finding the volume between two paraboloids.

4. What are some real world applications of calculating the volume between two paraboloids?

One potential application is in the field of engineering, where calculating the volume between two paraboloids can help determine the displacement of a fluid in a container or the shape of a curved surface. It can also be used in physics and mathematics to solve optimization problems involving paraboloids.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when calculating the volume between two paraboloids?

Yes, there are some special cases where the volume between two paraboloids may be infinite or zero. This can occur if the two paraboloids are identical or if one paraboloid is completely contained within the other.